Ammonia In The Tap Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish_food

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to fish keeping and I have a query about water quality.

My current set up involves a 100L tank containing 1 bubble-eye goldfish and a small pond containing 5 goldfish (a mix of orlandas and regular goldfish).  I've had some trouble recently with ammonia poisoning with my bubble-eye, and have discovered that Sydney tapwater is treated with chloramines.  This poses a problem, as when I test it straight out of the tap, it registers as 0.5 ppm for ammonia!  I treat my water with Seachem Prime, and after testing the treated water, it drops back down to 0.25ppm.  I've tried rainwater in the past, but that also registered at 0.25ppm.  I was wondering if anyone else has similar problems and could offer me some advice.

It's not unusual. Chloramine is one of commonest forms of chlorine treatment now, and it's very effective at getting the chlorine to the tap with the least fuss, so the water companies are unlikely to change in the near future.

With regards to ammonia poisoning, even a large water change at that level is unlikely to cause a significant issue assuming the filter is properly established, it'll be another source creating the issue. The commonest are stirred up mulm in established tanks, things dieing around the back of things in heavily decorated tanks, or, most common of all, overfeeding of fish, particularly messy ones like goldfish.

Best advice I can offer is to keep the tank clean, not worry too much about the ammonia in the tap water and, for a goldfish, ideally get a larger tank, they're messy creatures. At the very least, it may be worth looking at your filter to make sure that it can cope with the extra demand something like a goldfish throws at it. A lot claim to be good for 100 litre tanks, but they're rarely ideal, and often quite underpowered, even for undemanding stocking. Or, of couse, uncycled tanks, without the established filter.

I concur with Rob.  And I would add that your using a conditioner like Prime that detoxifies ammonia is good.  Prime detoxifies ammonia by changing it to the basically harmless ammonium, and Seachem state that this change is permanent.  So your fish are fine.  Most test kits we use do not distinguish between ammonia and ammonium, so both will read "ammonia," but in this case with Prime it is ammonium.

Byron.

Happily do I personally not have any forms of Chlorine in tap water since that isn't used over here anymore. So I can't help you with that.

For the ammonia, I guess it wouldn't be a huge problem. At first are our test kits very inaccurate, especially the ones that are strips. So the real levels will probably lower. Furthermore, those levels are not immediately threatening the lives of your fish. So I guess your fish will be fine.

Thankyou for the replies.  I'm using the NH3/NH4 drop test kits produced by API.  I have two filters in the tank at the moment, an established one that I got from an aunt and a non-established filter.  
If the kit also registers ammonium, how do you recommend I proceed with regards to monitoring ammonia levels in the tank?  Do I wait until it rises above a certain level or should I establish a schedule on when to change water and by how much regardless of the kit readings?

fish_food said:
Thankyou for the replies.  I'm using the NH3/NH4 drop test kits produced by API.  I have two filters in the tank at the moment, an established one that I got from an aunt and a non-established filter.  
If the kit also registers ammonium, how do you recommend I proceed with regards to monitoring ammonia levels in the tank?  Do I wait until it rises above a certain level or should I establish a schedule on when to change water and by how much regardless of the kit readings?

You know ammonia is present in the tap water, so it is entering the tank at water changes.  You also know that using Prime as your conditioner detoxifies this, so it is ammonium.  [The API liquid test measures ammonia/ammonium as "ammonia."]  Bacteria and live plants take up ammonia/ammonium fairly rapidly, and this minimal an amount should not remain in the aquarium.  I would do a test each day, same time of day, for a week to see if there is a change, as I would expect there to be no ammonia after a day or two.

Been doing water changes every now and then to keep the ammonia down.  Seems like the ammonia's stabilised at 0-0.25ppm.  Can I take this as a sign that the bacteria's starting to kick in?

fish_food said:
Been doing water changes every now and then to keep the ammonia down.  Seems like the ammonia's stabilised at 0-0.25ppm.  Can I take this as a sign that the bacteria's starting to kick in?

I suspect the bacteria has been doing its thing all along.  Using Prime at water changes will ensure the "ammonia" is ammonium and that is fine.

Thanks Byron and everyone for your help so far 
smile.png

Sorry to bother you guys again, but I've got another question.  I've noticed that for the past 2 days, that he has gotten a little bit 'fatter' and the scales on his left side are slightly raised.  I've read that these are symptoms for dropsy.  Should I be worried?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back