Ammonia Evaporation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MontyJ

Reaction score
Does ammonia evaporate from a tank? I assume it does, but would like confirmation. I ask because my fish-less cycle test readings have show a 2ppm loss of of ammonia in as many days. I am using the API Master Test Kit, and using the same light source each time...a sunshine replicating light fixture. Nitrites remain at 0ppm which I expect after only 2 days into the cycle. Anhydrous ammonia boils at roughly 28°F, but once bonded to water that number increases greatly. I don't know the evaporation rate of ammonia once bonded to water. So, is my drop in ammonia due to evaporation? No water changes have been made.

Ammonia is a gas and will gradually come out of solution. 2 ppm in 2 days seems far too fast but who knows, I suppose it is possible. The plant suggestion is a good one. If you have plants, they will treat ammonia as a welcome fertilizer and will suck it right up from your water. Plant savvy people take advantage of that and use tons of plants rather than cycle a tank. It works OK as long as the plants are capable of absorbing all of the nitrogen the fish produce. You might get away with an uncycled tank in one planted this heavily (yes it is one of mine).
XenotaeniaCrop.jpg

I wonder if the drop was due to the solution not being completely mixed? The level is now holding steady at 4ppm with absolutely no change. I have no plants, but would like to get a couple...just don't know what to get or what to put in the bottom of the tank. We just have store bought aquarium gravel in it right now.

I don't know what the cause is (absorption of some sort, incomplete mixing?) but I often see beginners have a drop in the initial couple of days that is not due to any bacterial activity (I think of it as a "false drop.")

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back