Ammonia Brand/Type Question

BkkprGal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all! New member here =)

We had 55gal tank for many years and, after spending time reading this forum, I don't know how I managed to keep them alive. I wasn't doing anything "right"! But, we hadn't had a tank in over 10 years so Santa brought me a 10gal starter tank to play with (small since there are issues with the floor stability in our rental house). I'm starting from scratch and want to do it right. I tried cycling with API Quick Cycle and 3 fish, but that was a disaster. Within 3 days they were all dead. That was a week ago and now I'm going to try the fishless cycle.

I had trouble finding ammonia and ended up with this. But the label doesn't say what percentage it is. I researched "aqua ammonia" and it looks like it is ok for my needs. There are no extra additives, it does not suds up when shaken.

So, is this ok? Can someone tell me what percentage it is so I can use the Calculator and get this cycle started?
I've attached the Safety Data Sheet. I see now that it says Ammoniac, anhydre, but Google isn't being very helpful with that.

20220208_073216.jpg
20220208_073228.jpg

Attachments

• Novel Wash Safety Data Sheet.pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 63
Howdy Y'all! New member here =)

We had 55gal tank for many years and, after spending time reading this forum, I don't know how I managed to keep them alive. I wasn't doing anything "right"! But, we hadn't had a tank in over 10 years so Santa brought me a 10gal starter tank to play with (small since there are issues with the floor stability in our rental house). I'm starting from scratch and want to do it right. I tried cycling with API Quick Cycle and 3 fish, but that was a disaster. Within 3 days they were all dead. That was a week ago and now I'm going to try the fishless cycle.

I had trouble finding ammonia and ended up with this. But the label doesn't say what percentage it is. I researched "aqua ammonia" and it looks like it is ok for my needs. There are no extra additives, it does not suds up when shaken.

So, is this ok? Can someone tell me what percentage it is so I can use the Calculator and get this cycle started?
I've attached the Safety Data Sheet. I see now that it says Ammoniac, anhydre, but Google isn't being very helpful with that.

View attachment 154432 View attachment 154433
I was trying to find it online and only found one result... Weird... I wouldn't use it, the only ingredients should be ammonia and water. Do you have an ace hardware store near you?

I was trying to find it online and only found one result... Weird... I wouldn't use it, the only ingredients should be ammonia and water. Do you have an ace hardware store near you?
I'm at Ace Hardware. This is what they have. It says 10% ammonium hydroxide. My only concern is that it says "For more ingredient information, call 800...". There's is no ingredient list on the label. It does not suds up when shaken. If it's just water and ammonium hydroxide, why don't they just say so? smh

20220212_095015.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at Ace Hardware. This is what they have. It says 10% ammonium hydroxide. My only concern is that it says "For more ingredient information, call 800...". There's is no ingredient list on the label. It does not suds up when shaken. If it's just water and ammonium hydroxide, why don't they just say so? smh

View attachment 154438
Thats the stuff I used to cycle my tank with. Worked super well for me

The safety data sheet for the Novel Wash ammonia (in post #1) says it contains "fragrance" which would put me off immediately.
The CAS number for "ammoniac anhydre" is the same as for ammonia.

But it's the fragrance which would stop me using it.

The safety data sheet for the Novel Wash ammonia (in post #1) says it contains "fragrance" which would put me off immediately.
The CAS number for "ammoniac anhydre" is the same as for ammonia.

But it's the fragrance which would stop me using it.
I didn't notice that. My eyes started to glaze over while looking at it lol. This data sheet is for both the Clear and Lemon versions, so I suspect that the Fragrance line is in reference to the Lemon version. Regardless, I've decided not to use it based on everyone's comments.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFF

If you haven't read up on cycling yet, everything you need is right here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

The fishless cycle is the best way to proceed...good luck! :)

And, the Ace ammonia is the one you need...
Thanks, Slaphppy7. I have read that and I'm using it and the Ammonia Calculator to get 'er done. I appreciate all the helpful info in TFF! The instructions are great, so hopefully I won't screw it up. 😆

Thanks, Slaphppy7. I have read that and I'm using it and the Ammonia Calculator to get 'er done. I appreciate all the helpful info in TFF! The instructions are great, so hopefully I won't screw it up. 😆
Nah, you'll be fine...you've done your research 👍 ...post any questions you have about your cycle here, or better yet, start a thread in the Journal section on your tank...we'll be glad to help

Most reactions

Back