Ammonia - Ammonium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I dosed my tank with stress coat plus after adding a piece of driftwood to my tank.

I hadn't thought about it then, but this could have turned the ammonia into ammonium. Do I need to dose the water again to have any success?

(EDIT - I'm cycling the tank on a fishless run, right now)

I dosed my tank with stress coat plus after adding a piece of driftwood to my tank.

I hadn't thought about it then, but this could have turned the ammonia into ammonium. Do I need to dose the water again to have any success?

ammonium should steel feed the bacteria, when you say should you dose it again what are you 'dosing' the water with other than stress coat +?

Dechlorinators that neutralise ammonia do so, not by converting it to ammonium, but by binding the ammonia into a molecule which is safe for fish but is still useable by bacteria and plants. So you'll have no problems.

ammonium should steel feed the bacteria, when you say should you dose it again what are you 'dosing' the water with other than stress coat +?
He's asking if he should redose the ammonia after adding more stresscoat which neutralizes it. He's in the early early stages of cycling, like, no nitrite or nitrate yet.

Not seeing what difference that makes, but in any case, the transformation of the ammonia is only temporary, even if it did make a difference.

The pH change will indeed have affected the ammonia / ammonium ratio in your tank. That will make no difference whatsoever for your cycle. The bacteria are more than capable of using either one as their "food". The only thing to watch would be your pH. If it drops below about 6.4, the cycle may stall.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back