Ammonia Ammonia Ammonia Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nothing like two conflicting stories from two moderators for water changes or no water changes during the ammonia cycle.... hmmm

and this ammonia thing is really frustrating me :angry: , I have looked around alot, and I have not found an Ammonia bottle that said 100% on the side of the bottle, the bottle I bought does froth when shaken... i keep hearing everyone say.. "just pick some up at the local hardware store.." I wish I had hardware stores like they do..

whatever

I think they might both be right. I think it is more improtant to change the water when you have a fish cycle. (which I have never done(the fish part)). I believe correct me if I am wrong. Your tank will cycle without water changes however by not reducing the toxins your adding more time to complete the cycle. Right? Dont worry about the ammonia. If you would have just put a little food in there it only takes a couple days to break down. Saves you the hassle of buying the 100% ammonia.

everyone has their way to do cycling of tanks, the basics are the same. the reason i do water changes or reccommend that water changes are done is for the following. first, to get a newbie in the habit of scheduling time for maintaining their tank(s). they can kind of get the feel for what is the best time for them to maintain their tank according to their schedule. also so they get the feel for the tank from the beginning.

second, water changes are required after the tank is set up to keep the levels down. doing small water changes after the ammonia has spiked will help to keep them down during the cycling so as to not overload the establishing biological filter. if small water changes are done during the cycling there is no need to do a large water change at the end of the cycle which can remove a large amount of the essential bacteria that you have established. imo, water changes over 75% are very risky.

as far as the ammonia goes, i would reccommend feeding an empty tank and letting the waste from the uneaten food create the bacteria. anything that you add to the tank that is not designed for aquarium use is a risk and should be dealt with very carefully. it seems like in the last few years though, using ammonia to cycle a tank is becoming more popular. all it does is shorten the time that it takes to cycle the tank by adding instant ammonia. beleive the saying, "good things come to those who wait" is valid here.

not trying to say anyone is right or wrong, these are the reasons that i do the things that i do. have set up quite a few tanks, not only for personal use but for others, including my daughter's school and have never had a problem with them. just passing along what i have learned.

maggie

I'm not trying to confuse the issue here. I'm only going by what I've been told by experienced fish keepers and also what I've done personally, with as I stated in a previous post, no fish losses due to ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. I did exactly as I wrote and explained.

So there you have it folks!!!!

Two ways of doing it, by two experianced fishkeepers/mods.

Now all you have to do is decide which one will work best for you!!!

Thanks to Maggie and Gad for their helpful insight in the area of fishless cycling!!!

CM

one more question on the cycling, I am setting up my tank tonight, I have decided to do small water changes during the cycle... how ofted do you do 5-10% changes? does it depend on the levels or should I just do them once/twice a week?

thanks

also, is it necessary to dechlorinate the water when you set the tank up and for water changes if Im doing a fishless cycle?.. Maybe the chlorine/chlorimine kills the bacteria and I do?

and another thing, I cant find pure ammonia, I really dont think it is possible (at least in the states) Most schools dont even have pure ammonia.

Therefore I have opted for decomposing fish food method (fishless cycle).

I added some 88cent goldfish food and a little bit of flake food from tetra that came with my tank.
my water was at:
Hardness - 0-25ppm
Alkalinity - 120-180ppm
PH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0

My question is... When I get an ammonia spike.. is this when I should start doing slight water changes? and like I said above should I be treating the water for water changes.

also... when my ammonia and nitrite levels reach 0, does this mean the cycle is done?

thanks

If it is a fishless cycle there is no need to do water changes mid cycle,this will just make the whole process take longer it is best to just let nature take its course.

It is best to dechlorinate the water just in case.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back