Amazonian Biotope

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

finchfarm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For years now I've kept an Amazonian biotope tank, mainly because of restrictions because of my tanks pH values (range of 5.0-6.5). I've "hopped" from fish species to fish species, but decided I'd like to keep just a few species in particular instead of getting something different every time I turn around. I want something to sort of "specialize" in. I'd also like to have a tank, when people come over, at least fish-knowledgeable people, they would know instantaneously that the tank was an Amazonian biotope. To me THE fish of the Amazon is the Pirannah, but unable to have these and with a tank too small for Pacu, my "replacement" of choice has been the Silver Dollar. So, Silver Dollars are a definite.

Anyway the tank is 75 gallons, and is about two feet deep, two feet tall and five feet long. The substrate is a fine black gravel and is moderately planted with plastic plants for hiding places, along with a chunk of hollowed out mock driftwood for hiding. Again, the pH ranges 5.0 to 6.5, through I usually try to keep it around 6.0 to 6.5.

All that said, what Amazonian fish that would get along with Silver Dollars would you reccommend for those tank specifications in an Amazonian biotope.

I guess it depends on how narrowly you want to define "Amazon". Are you willing to include tributaries or only the Amazon proper?

Also, and this might just be because I'm a fishkeeper :lol:, but silver dollars do *not* make me think "Amazon". If I were to do a show Amazon tank, then I would definitely go for:

* a breeding pair of wild type discus, severum or other large-bodied, fairly peaceful cichlid
* two shoals of cory cats (at least 15 total)
* a really flashy pleco or two, depending on size
* two shoals of large-body tetras (at least 15 again)

That should be impressive for non-fishy people and if you restrict your choices to a single river or tributary, then it should impress fishy people too.

I suggest checking out what Benny's Tropical Fish has got listed on Aquabid and building from there (he's in Florida). You might want to consider doing a Rio Orinoco set-up with L200 plecs and keyhole cichlids (2-3 pairs of those) and building from there.

Sorry that I omitted silver dollars. :blush:

Silvers dollars wouldnt make me think "Amazon" either, they are extremely jumpy, large, and bulky. I would go for maybe a breeding pair of wild discus, and a breeding pair of wild angels, some tetra's, and some cory's, adn of course the famous "Amazon sword plant". I am also sorry about shooting down your idea of silver dollars.

That's okay, Silver Dollars don't necessarily make me think "Amazon" either, but I already have three in the tank, along with, as stated "Pirannah" to me says Amazon, but due to size restraints ect., the closest relative of the pirannah I was able to attain was a Silver Dollar. :blink:

That's okay, Silver Dollars don't necessarily make me think "Amazon" either, but I already have three in the tank, along with, as stated "Pirannah" to me says Amazon, but due to size restraints ect., the closest relative of the pirannah I was able to attain was a Silver Dollar. :blink:

heh, I'm still not convinced about the whole piranha business, but I can get behind "I already have them!"

Here's what I would do for a silver dollar tank:

* 6 silver dollars
* a pair of severums, festivums, keyholes or other "gentle" cichlid (check these out: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...amp;1193535156)
* ~10 emperor tetras (or other large-bodied tetra with small fins; maybe Buenos Aires?)
* one fairly uncommon bottom-dweller (maybe a hoplo catfish or a colorful fancy plec)

I'd stay away from angels, little tetras or any of the other super-common Amazon fish. Discus are out b/c silver dollars just aren't compatible.

Show community tanks generally look better when they're restricted to about 4-6 species. Since you're definitely going to be keeping big fish, I'd go with just 4 species total and only 2 groups. That way the cichlid pair will be more of a focus for the tank and your bottom-dweller will seem even more interesting. I'd also stay away from anything particularly delicate because you aren't going to be able to keep any plants with silver dollars in the tank and silver dollars are pretty messy fish.

you say the tank is 75 gallons long but from your measurements : 2 ft by 2 ft by 5 ft, changed to inches and divided by 231, 24x24x60/231= 149.6 o.o

So your tank is 150 gallons if your measurements are correct lol.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back