Amazon Sword Problem

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pmoyniha

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I have had an Amazon Sword for about 5 months. In the early going it was a healthy healthy plant. But lately the leaves are really small and almost translucent. I am not sure what is causeing this.

Any ideas?

thanks
pat

What are the water perams in the tank. You might be needing more nitrates or iron in the tank.

Rose

I would also suggest an Iron supplement, root tablets.

The problem with Amazon Swords is that in the wild they are often semi-aquatic plants that live in the water during the flooded part of the year and out of it in the dry season so they can be quite difficult to get established in an aquarium. Brown/transparent leaves as others have said is usually a good sign of iron lacking so introducing an iron supplement would help.

Good Luck

Lighting also may be a problem. If you don't have proper lighting, your plants will become stunted. Add more lights and your plants should bounce back, from what I understand anyways. I recently went from 30 watts to 192 watts in a 55 gallon and am waiting to see if it holds true or not. But amazons need more iron also, so you might try that first. It'll definitely be cheaper. Good luck. :D

It is worth considering your lamp, the plant has been growing fine for months, so there obviously has been enough light, but fluorescent lamps dim with age, and most people recommend replacing the lamp after 12 months.

It is my opinion that it depends a lot on the type and quality of lamp though. High quality lamps stay bright for most of their life then deteriorate very quickly before dying.

I think iron was/is the problem. I put in a root tab and it seems to have perked up over the alst week or so. More colour in the leaves and such. Time will tell I guess. Thanks to everyone who helped!
-Pat

Most reactions

Back