Amazon Sword (E. bleheri)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
My Echinodorus bleheri is showing signs of nutrient deficiency. The newest leaves are growing fairly quickly (about 4 leaves per week, 5 cm per week) but appear almost a white (very light green) transulscent colour.

Any idea what mineral(s) is deficient? I regularly fertlise with Dennerle products (V30, E15 and S7) so I'm thinking it could be Calcium as my water is KH 3 GH 6.

You can see my profile for a full list of parameters and hardware.

Any ideas plant enthusiasts?

My Echinodorus bleheri is showing signs of nutrient deficiency. The newest leaves are growing fairly quickly (about 4 leaves per week, 5 cm per week) but appear almost a white (very light green) transulscent colour.

Any idea what mineral(s) is deficient?

It sure sounds like calcium deficiency.

I regularly fertlise with Dennerle products (V30, E15 and S7) so I'm thinking it could be Calcium as my water is KH 3 GH 6.

I'm not at all familiar with Dennerle products, but it doesn't sound like it provides enough trace minerals.

To remedy this, add small amount of calcuim carbonate (e.g. crushed coral) to the water slowly until KH is about 8. Add even smaller amount (1/3 to 1/2 the amount of calcium carbonate) of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) as well. What you want is a slow change in GH and KH. The desired change should occur over about a week. Until then, you'll have to monitor the water daily.

An easier way to do this is to just add trace mineral fertilizer. It will also add other minerals you probably lack in your water. Tropica Master-grow or Seachem Flourish works well. If you want to go with crushed coral + epsom salt route, make sure to note the amount of calcium and magnesium you've added to get the desired KH. This way, you know how much to add next time.

Also, make sure the trace mineral fertilizer doesn't have any nitrogen or phosphate. You don't need it unless you have little/no fish in your aquarium, and/or it's heavily planted.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably add a small amount of Calcium bicarbonate. I don't really want to raise my KH much higher than 3 degrees because I don't want to raise my pH above 7 (my fish prefer soft acid water). I've read this is possible by adding a net bag of crushed oyster shells. I'll obviously keep an eye on my water parameters and add a little at a time.

I'll probably add a small amount of Calcium bicarbonate. I don't really want to raise my KH much higher than 3 degrees because I don't want to raise my pH above 7 (my fish prefer soft acid water).

In that case, you might want to go with root tabs with trace minerals.

Most reactions

Back