Amazing Recovery

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stormm

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So in my 7 years of fish keeping i have never had a fish survive a disease/infection/fungus. So when this poor cichlid was sitting at the back of the tank barely hanging onto life Friday night, i thought it was over. I did what i could with what i had i netted it, which was very easy, then placed it in a old breeding net. After diagnosing it, i knew it was fin rot.

One thing i should note is, i live on a island so getting emergency supplies at 7pm is impossible since the only fish stores are on the mainland/bigger island.

So after staying up to practically 3 am watching it i fell asleep. in the morning i saw no movement so i feared the worst, but then sitting there, with barely any energy it was, still alive. I begin to setup the 10 gallon tank for it. I had family members coming over the day later so I gave them a list of everything i need.

It was now Sunday night. I had moved the fish to the 10 gal, gotten the filter running (without cartridges). I started the treatment of Erythromycin. As im about to go to bed i see a issue, the temperature is very low. Now i find out the heaters broken.

So I wrap the tank in blankets (scary fire hazard) and turn up my rooms temperature.

Now for the next 10 days i did the treatment, running the filter with media for 2 days in-between the 4 day treatments. The fish is looking better, but still not well. There's still some fin left, and it was beginning to look weird, almost like fuzz. It looked like i had a fungus issue now. Then the next morning there was nothing left of that tail fin. All gone just a little snub at the end.

So now that its whole fin is gone im assuming this things gonna have no fin forever. Then about a week ago i noticed something, a little clear thing protruding from the snub. The next day its bigger, then bigger. Now i realize it has a 1/4th of a tail fin.

As of May 17th 2016 at 1:48pm it has 2/3 of a tail and is the happiest fish i have ever owned. It comes out whenever im in the room and watches me do what im doing. It sleeps on the side of the tank where my bed is. Its a aquatic version of my cats.

I will post pics once the bugger stops looking at me and shows its body and not face lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back