Amamo Shrimp & Petsmart

Phaedra

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, I finally found a pretty good source for amano shrimp. Unfortunately they're at Petsmart, who don't use individual filters for their tank.

So strange question, I hope someone can help me.
Knowing that shrimp are not known to contract the same diseases as fish, would it be okay to introduce them to my 10g, or would they still possibly introduce any diseases they were exposed to in the shared water with all the other tanks?
I have 1 amano right now and would love to get some more, but Petsmart is the only place I've been able to find that carries them.

When you acclimitize them, don't dump petsmart's water in the tank..

Add water from your tank to the bag for awhile, then just net out the shrimps and put them in.

That's probably the safest way to avoid bad things from water being transferred to your tank.

When you acclimitize them, don't dump petsmart's water in the tank..

Add water from your tank to the bag for awhile, then just net out the shrimps and put them in.

That's probably the safest way to avoid bad things from water being transferred to your tank.

Thanks for the reply Vancouver.
You don't think they could be carrying disease on them when introduced even if I net them first? I realize this is one of those "gawd, who the heck knows?" questions that I'm prone to brood over, but I thought I'd ask just the same. ;)

I never dump water from any LFS when introducing new anything. I even rinsed my moss ball outside of the tank before I put it in. :lol:

Thanks for the help Vancouver. That's pretty much what I figured too.
By the way, is that your llama? :D

Of course! How could I be so silly?
You're a very nice looking Llama. :nod:

Well, I finally found a pretty good source for amano shrimp. Unfortunately they're at Petsmart, who don't use individual filters for their tank.
Correct Petsmart does not have individual filters. They have connected tanks, and the filtration is one hell of a filter system. I could be wrong but i believe they use UV sterilization which should kill all water bourne diseases. I also think they have reverse osmosis water filtration. This is what i was told buy one of thier employees.

Anyways i have never had a problem at Petsmart, never a diseased fish.

Most reactions

Back