Am i overstocked?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, im sorry if im posting to many threads, i promise this is my last one for a month or two unless its an emergency like a sick fish. I need to know if im over stocked. I have changed things up a little and this is my PERMANENT setup and i will not change. My tank is 14 gallons, it is 50cm wide, 48cm wide and 36cm thick.

My plan, if im overstocked maybe change it up a bit. If i have room for more cory catfish or another loach please tell me:
Setup:

3 guppies (1 male and 2 females)

4 Cory catfish (Bronze cory catfish)

2 dwarf gourami's (not sure which ones, please tell me some dwarf gourami's i could have)

1 kuhli loach

The tank will be live planted, thank you for your help!

OK...so this is my own personal opinion, feel free to shoot it down if wished.

I would avoid female Guppies unless you intend breeding and add another aquarium for the fry to grow out in. Males will live happily together, and imho are far more eyecatching.

Cories would probably require greater floorspace, especially bare sandy areas to snuffle in...they can be quite good at digging holes, so that would be something to bear in mind. You also need to be aware that they too breed like rabbits and prefer a few more, around 6 or so, to be "comfy"

DG....there is a shortage of females, or at least LFS do not seem to want to let them go if in stock....so a solo male DG would be better than two since they are territorial and moody and the potential for fighting is definitely there, even in a well planted aquarium with lots of sight blocking in place

Kuhli "prefer" company, not always successful as a solo...again you might want to rethink the numbers there too.

Aquarium capacity wise is self limiting, its not a large enough aquarium for the numbers/species stated or required. Also make sure that the water chemistry that you have and the temperature will be suited to your choices or you will have health issues on top of aggression issues.

I would avoid female Guppies unless you intend breeding and add another aquarium for the fry to grow out in. Males will live happily together, and imho are far more eyecatching.

Cories would probably require greater floorspace, especially bare sandy areas to snuffle in...they can be quite good at digging holes, so that would be something to bear in mind. You also need to be aware that they too breed like rabbits and prefer a few more, around 6 or so, to be "comfy"

DG....there is a shortage of females, or at least LFS do not seem to want to let them go if in stock....so a solo male DG would be better than two since they are territorial and moody and the potential for fighting is definitely there, even in a well planted aquarium with lots of sight blocking in place

Kuhli "prefer" company, not always successful as a solo...again you might want to rethink the numbers there too.

Aquarium capacity wise is self limiting, its not a large enough aquarium for the numbers/species stated or required. Also make sure that the water chemistry that you have and the temperature will be suited to your choices or you will have health issues on top of aggression issues

Aquarium capacity wise is self limiting, its not a large enough aquarium for the numbers/species stated or required. Also make sure that the water chemistry that you have and the temperature will be suited to your choices or you will have health issues on top of aggression issues.
Ok, what kind of health issues are we talking about?

Ok, what kind of health issues are we talking about?
Keeping it as absolutely basic as possible...

Health = No stress.

People usually think Health = No disease. This is wrong.

Stress = Disease AND parasites.

Stress can be caused by;
Poor water.
Overcrowding.
Inadequate tank surroundings.
Inadequate tank mates.

Water chemistry and temperature disparity can cause many issues...such as having "busy" fish like Guppies can sometimes cause stress to a DG and bring out its not so calm side - a case of little fish being a pain in the backside darting here and there constantly stressing a calm, slow moving DG and can cause issues at feeding time with Guppies and DG fighting for food leading to the DG nipping fins and tails on the Guppies, causing fin rot and other issues like that

All fish can be easily stressed in the wrong surroundings...mixing fast fish like Guppies with slow moving fish like DG's can result in the death of everyone involved.

It is very easy to have a fish wish list but not so easy to actually find true compatibility. You are very limited on space and your species mix could be very troublesome, leading to health issues

The combination of fish is the problem, as other members have correctly mentioned. Not from the standpoint of being compatible (behaviour wise), but numbers and tank space. Cories and loaches are highly social fish and they need a group--note I said "need," not should have. They need this to be less stressed, which means healthier. But the space is impeding that.

Dwarf gourami are not advisable. This fish is high risk when it comes to disease. There are safer gourami, but I am not going to suggest them because of the other issues which need resolution. And I agree, do not have female guppies, you will be inundated with fry month after month with two females and one male, then the fry will begin mating very early on, and it only worsens.

This is a very small tank space for these fish. There are many nano fish more suitable, and you could have more of them for more interest. First we need to know the water parameters, mainly GH and pH of your source water. Most of the nano fish are much more sensitive to these.

If it were me, I would drop the loach for the reasons Byron stated. One loach would not be happy in your tank. Looking at the dimensions of your tank, if you want cories I would get one of the pygmy varieties (hastatus, habrosus, or pygmaeus). The dimensions of your tank appear to be not much larger than a ten gallon, and stocking is more about space than gallons. If you chose a pygmy variety of cories, you could most likely have (and need) 6 to 8. But before you choose your stocking, you need to know the GH of your water. To find this, you can buy your own test kit, take a water sample to your LFS, or try looking on your water suppliers website.

Hi, im sorry if im posting to many threads, i promise this is my last one for a month or two unless its an emergency like a sick fish.
You can post as much as you need help with! This forum is here for people to learn! As long as you are doing your best to understand what people are telling you and want to do what is best for the fish nobody should care how many threads you post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back