am I overstocked?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon and I'm wondering if I'm overstocked. I'm almost positive my tank is overstocked. I have some snails, 8 corydoras, 6 mollies, 1 platy, 4 guppies, and 2 upside down catfish. I would like to get 1 more upside down catfish but if I'm overstocked then I won't do that.

What number estimate is 'some'?
What species for corys?
IMO you have too many mollies. Id bring it down to 2-3 to.
Then you could get another upsidedown. :)

I have a few different types of cories. I have albinos, trielineatus, peppered, panda, and schwartz.

I have 5 mystery snails (I plan on moving 3 to a different tank), 1 columbian ramshorn snail, 1 rabbit snail, and 1 giant tower cap snail.

I have a few different types of cories. I have albinos, trielineatus, peppered, panda, and schwartz.

I have 5 mystery snails (I plan on moving 3 to a different tank), 1 columbian ramshorn snail, 1 rabbit snail, and 1 giant tower cap snail.
how many of each species? Id rehome some to a tank where they can be with more of their species.

ok.

I have a few different species because they were either given to me or sick cories I saw at pet stores so I got them to help them. I have 1 or 2 of each type. They all swim together and stay close to each other

The cories are fine, do not on any account separate them. They will always be less stressed the more there are, and they seem equally at home regardless of species.

The upside down catfish is also a shoaling species, and should be in a group to avoid stress. This brings us to the overstocking. Two of these is actually having a greater impact on the system than would four or five, because of the fish's reaction/response to numbers and other factors. The problem really are the mollies; these are largish fish, and being primarily herbivorous they eat more and produce more waste.

No idea on GH here, but livebearers need moderately hard water, mollies especially so, and the cories and upside down cats are soft water fish, with some ability for higher GH.

I don't remember the GH or KH but I had them tested once before at my LFS and I remember my water wasn't soft but it wasn't overly hard water either. It was right around the middle. My PH was 7.2. I made sure to ask the stores I got the catfish from and they were all tank raised. When I got the upside down catfish there was only 2 at the store I got them from.

I don't remember the GH or KH but I had them tested once before at my LFS and I remember my water wasn't soft but it wasn't overly hard water either. It was right around the middle. My PH was 7.2. I made sure to ask the stores I got the catfish from and they were all tank raised. When I got the upside down catfish there was only 2 at the store I got them from.
With that many mollies long term you will Be having babies as well. It’s not crazily overstocked by any stretch as of now. The lack of catfish though as Byron mentioned is an issue so I would recommend increasing

I have had a few baby mollies so far and I put some in my fry tank to raise and sell but any that were left in my 29 gallon ended up as food for my other fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back