Alphonse Albert Albino’s first adoption day! 🎉

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Today makes the day I first brought home fish! All started out with a 1.5 gallon I picked up at a garage sale because “hey why not” and I was a complete incompetent idiot who didn’t know what they were doing about anything and now, a year later I have 7 tanks and am little bit less of an incompetent idiot but I still have no idea what I’m doing.

I hadn’t cycled the first tank at ALL. I immediately went to the fish store, they had me buy the conditioner and the stability and told me to let the tank filter run for 24 hours before adding fish.

Honestly. With what I know now I am absolutely shook that any of my initial fish survived.

My initial load was 3 male guppies and 1 Cory catfish (plz don’t yell at me I’ve learned better), my dear little Alphonse Albert Albino. “Al” for short. My entire family named a fish. The names were Menma (yes my previous gay bby if anyone remembers who I made a post about trying to breed him and four months later watching the latest fry get bigger and I don’t see even a hint of Menma’s genetics so I think my breeding attempts failed, that gay little bugger ), Divine, and Penelope, and of course, Al. My sister claims she named him “Al” because he’s an albino cory so the full name is just kinda whatever we call him when referencing him.

Penelope jumped out of the tank the first night, which honestly now I know why but I’m still shocked he managed to do that bc the tank, though small, did have a lid with a only small opening to drop food. And Divine died a week later because he refused to eat, which, honestly my fault because the water was definitely not cycled. And the tank way too small.

Menma lasted 8 months and died by sheer fluke. A Cory catfish died (don’t know why, he was heavily eaten when I pulled him out so I couldn’t find the cause) and I think Menma got poked by one of the Cory’s fins. I’m not sure how the venom in Cory’s work but I think that did it. It was a weird coincidence otherwise.

But my little baby boy (girl? I actually don’t know), Al, is still alive and kicking!!! And MUCH bigger than when I bought him. And he made it to the one year mark. And I can’t even tell you how relieving it is that he survived this long. Makes me feel like even though I’ve made a lot of mistakes, I’m still managed to do something right.

Al isn’t allowed to die. I love him too much🤧 he’s still my favorite fish even though I now have an army of guppies and cories in my tanks. And I enjoy watching him bury his face in the sand and snuggle up against his fellow cories and even the pleco gets a snuggle. The pleco, Waldo, is my next oldest fish nearing a year! And I’m so happpy.

Attachments

• 8B2F0EE4-03B1-497F-B3BF-D35EE4F4FC63.jpeg
    8B2F0EE4-03B1-497F-B3BF-D35EE4F4FC63.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BA2CC9A4-05F5-4004-8461-A3503D6CAFC7.jpeg
    BA2CC9A4-05F5-4004-8461-A3503D6CAFC7.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 732D7FEE-AD6B-4196-AFE4-B736F7E35113.jpeg
    732D7FEE-AD6B-4196-AFE4-B736F7E35113.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 29
Happy aquatic birthday? 😅

Most reactions