Almost made a big mistake!

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
Messages
7,149
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Texas
I love iridescent sharks, and when I saw some at Wal-mart today, I thought of getting a couple. I checked the little fish information tag under the tank, and it said that they only grow to 12", so I got all excited because that means I could possibly manage to home one. Knowing how Wal-mart isn't always accurate about their fish facts, though, I decided to go home and research them a bit more; and am so glad I did!!! I checked out multiple sites about them, and most listed them as growing to 20" or more! Thank goodness I checked before buying. I can't afford a tank large enough to house something like that!
Goofy ol' Wal-mart, getting my hopes up. :sly:
I should go in there one day with a sharpy and correct all their fish info. tags.
 
No, that's why you should always research your fish before buying them. Yes, Walmart should have the correct information, but those tags don't look exactly home made, so I'm betting they don't even check the information on them becuase they get them from the same place they get the fish. So walmart doesn't even know it has the wrong info, because one would think the actual fish distributer would put the right info on them, right? It really comes down to the fact that impulse buys are not a good thing period.
 
Mine said 8". There's a pinned article (or there was at one point) in the cats forum that warned about these fish.

Glad to see you resisted the impulse to buy it. ;)
 
NinjaSmurf said:
Yes, Walmart should have the correct information, but those tags don't look exactly home made, so I'm betting they don't even check the information on them becuase they get them from the same place they get the fish.
Yeah, the tags looking very professional was why I was inclined to believe them, at first... I think they're standard in all Wal-marts, so I'm guessing they're Wal-mart made.
Just another thing to add to the list when I finally get around to complaining to the manager about their horrible conditions, I guess.
 
First of all, I highly doubt Walmart is making them, I thought I made that clear. Walmart most likely gets them from their supplier. Why would they make their own? If anything I'd get on the phone to their suppliers, because obviously these people don't care about the fish either, or else they wouldn't be sending Walmart Irridescent catfish, would they?
 
When you say 'their suppliers' do you mean the people who supply the fish or the people who supply the tags? The same tags are probably used in all wal-marts and I would think they have them made themselves (obviously not made in the shop or by the emplyers but ordered or whatever to a certain specification that was once created by wal-mart for wal-mart and has remained the same). As for complaining to the suppliers... what does it have to do with them? Wal-mart is doing the selling so they should make sure they provide the correct information. It's like saying that you should complain to the supplier if a car dealer suddenly has a plane for sale at the same price as a car and sells it as if it were a car. they should know the difference between a car and plane... :P (not that I would complain about that though)
 
First of all, why are the fish suppliers even selling irrisdescent catfish? I thought pretty much everyone on this forum is in agreemnet that these fish aren't exactly the kind for most peoples tanks. They should be something you have to special order, not go to walmart and buy. Too many fish like this are sold to places and they are not fish for everyone.

Second, walmart sells the same stuff no matter where it's located, so just because they all have the same tags doesn't mean they make them, I know a woman who got tags from her fish supplier and they were wrong, so she made her own. I've seen the same tags at walmart at other stores and they were wrong too, yet those petshop people thought they were right because they came from the supplier. I guess what I'm trying to say is figure out the whole story before running off to blame walmart for everything. You don't know the whole story.
 
Well, I was just assuming that Wal-mart creates the tags because those tags are the same in all Wal-marts.... if that's not the case, then they all use the same supplier :P
Either way, Wal-mart may be the middle man, but they still have a responsibility, I think, to supply their customers with accurate information. I'm going to talk to their manager next time I see their goldfish tank horrifically overstocked, and when I do, I'll ask him/her if the supplier is the one I should be complaining to about the tags :P
 
NinjaSmurf said:
First of all, I highly doubt Walmart is making them, I thought I made that clear. Walmart most likely gets them from their supplier. Why would they make their own? If anything I'd get on the phone to their suppliers, because obviously these people don't care about the fish either, or else they wouldn't be sending Walmart Irridescent catfish, would they?
Stop defending wal-mart. Walmart is evil with its low prices it wreaks whole towns
 
I don't know how wal-mart works. Personaly I'm just assuming. However, I do think wal-mart has to be responsible for what they sell and I think that though irridescent sharks are unsuitable fish for most tanks, there are several others that are just as bad (not necessarily due to size but also due to requirements or mis-leading information concerning them etc) and suppliers are not about to cut their profits for the sake of the fish.
 
I like Iridescent Sharks too. I've got two, 2 to 3 inches long. I don't expect them to get out of control. I have a new 55 gal tankwith them and guppies. I am worried about them eating the baby guppies though. anyone have experience whit these sharks?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top