All the rain is ruining the tap

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
So California has been getting an ungodly amount of rain these last few months (including rn). And; itā€™s finally affected the water. Running fertilizer, Iā€™m presuming, has caused a massive spike in nitrates. Didnā€™t know this before I did a large water change on my tanks. So. Naturally I spent quite a bit of time scrubbing dirt from potho plants and shoved their roots in the filters. If anyone had any other advice do share?

Put some tap water in large holding containers and add a heap of plants. Wait until the nutrients (nitrates) are 0ppm, then dechlorinate the water (if you have chloramine) and use the clean water in your aquariums.

The other option is a reverse osmosis unit but they waste a lot of water, and that's not good in California.

B2A5862C-5E13-47D8-BDAC-53D7A1E60944.jpeg
Pothos have worked fantastically! Numbers are back to zero~Might even help with the hair algae Iā€™ve been struggling with if they can stave off the excess nutrients. Gotta be careful tho, since pothos are hungry little things. The 10 gallon to the left doesnā€™t have any fish in it so thatā€™s why the roots arenā€™t in the filter/inside a mesh.

I tired the Solar sill you mentioned a while back, Colin, but it just wasnā€™t giving me enough for the amount I needed šŸ˜©

But Iā€™ll definitely have to set up a tub with plants soaking in it for my next water change! I have a A LOT of pothos, might even use the big tub as a way to propagate even more LOL.

Most reactions

Back