All My Fish Are Dying Help!

LicianDragon said:
Alright...a few questions.
  • How long has the tank been set up?
  • Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips?
  • How often do you do water changes?
  • Did you cycle your tank before putting in the fish?  (obviously it is cycled by now, since you have 0 ammonia & nitrite, 5 nitrate)
  • Do you have an airstone in the tank?  I ask this because it could possibly be a bizarre form of oxygen deprivation, but that's highly unlikely.
As mentioned before, you are overstocked.  Is it possible for you to return some fish to your LFS/give them to a friend with room in a tank?
I hope this all gets sorted out soon,
-CL95
The tank has been set up for 9 months. I use liquid test strips, I understand they're not as accurate as liquid but  I can do paper tests for free at work. I don't have the money for liquid tests unfortunately.
I change 6 gallons of water twice a week, having added aquarium salt since I set it up. Yes, I cycled the tank with 10 feeder guppies, of which 3 survived. Now I have guppy fry from them but the originals have since died.
I do not use an airstone, I have an aqueon filter for tanks up to 29 gal. I also have live plants in the tank. I returned the serpae tetras. So now my tank sits at

8 guppies( 1 is an adult female, the rest are fry all under 1/4 an inch long)<---I will be giving 5 of the guppies to a roommates turtle once they get a tiny bit bigger
3 tiger platies
3 julii cory cats
1 golddust molly
1 african dwarf frog
1 weather loach( he's currently just under 3 inches long, he will be moved to a bigger tank as he grows)

The wave of death seems to have stopped. I'm not sure what the initial cause was, I think the serpae tetras were harassing the guppies though that doesn't account for the death of my peacock gudgeon and neon goby, nor the death of 2 of the serpae's. I did another 60% water change today just to be safe. I won't be adding any more fish to my tank and the guppy fry will be turtle food once they get a bit bigger. Thanks very much for all your help guys! I always thought that as long as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were fine in the tank, fish stock didn't matter as much. No more tetras for me!(not till I finally get that 125gal I've always wanted....) Thanks again!!
Stocking looks MUCH better!  So glad the death has stopped.  And as HayzH says, liquid tests are preferable over test strips, because of accuracy (even if yours don't bleed).  The API Master Test Kit, which probably 75% of the members of this forum use (including myself): http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754034&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

CoryLover95 said:

Alright...a few questions.
  • How long has the tank been set up?
  • Are you using a liquid test kit or test strips?
  • How often do you do water changes?
  • Did you cycle your tank before putting in the fish?  (obviously it is cycled by now, since you have 0 ammonia & nitrite, 5 nitrate)
  • Do you have an airstone in the tank?  I ask this because it could possibly be a bizarre form of oxygen deprivation, but that's highly unlikely.
As mentioned before, you are overstocked.  Is it possible for you to return some fish to your LFS/give them to a friend with room in a tank?
I hope this all gets sorted out soon,
-CL95
The tank has been set up for 9 months. I use liquid test strips, I understand they're not as accurate as liquid but  I can do paper tests for free at work. I don't have the money for liquid tests unfortunately.
I change 6 gallons of water twice a week, having added aquarium salt since I set it up. Yes, I cycled the tank with 10 feeder guppies, of which 3 survived. Now I have guppy fry from them but the originals have since died.
I do not use an airstone, I have an aqueon filter for tanks up to 29 gal. I also have live plants in the tank. I returned the serpae tetras. So now my tank sits at

8 guppies( 1 is an adult female, the rest are fry all under 1/4 an inch long)<---I will be giving 5 of the guppies to a roommates turtle once they get a tiny bit bigger
3 tiger platies
3 julii cory cats
1 golddust molly
1 african dwarf frog
1 weather loach( he's currently just under 3 inches long, he will be moved to a bigger tank as he grows)

The wave of death seems to have stopped. I'm not sure what the initial cause was, I think the serpae tetras were harassing the guppies though that doesn't account for the death of my peacock gudgeon and neon goby, nor the death of 2 of the serpae's. I did another 60% water change today just to be safe. I won't be adding any more fish to my tank and the guppy fry will be turtle food once they get a bit bigger. Thanks very much for all your help guys! I always thought that as long as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were fine in the tank, fish stock didn't matter as much. No more tetras for me!(not till I finally get that 125gal I've always wanted....) Thanks again!!
Stocking looks MUCH better!  So glad the death has stopped.  And as HayzH says, liquid tests are preferable over test strips, because of accuracy (even if yours don't bleed).  The API Master Test Kit, which probably 75% of the members of this forum use (including myself): http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754034&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Thanks! I know the paper strips aren't as accurate but I simply don't have the money for liquid tests right now. I use the strips as more of a guideline and do ample water changes to be safe though. 

Try going to your pfs and ask if they test water! Thats how I do it! I go to my lfs!

I already take my water to the lfs(it's where I work) and we do paper tests.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back