All Girls And No Boys

DeadlyAlliance

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys could it be possible for a fish to give birth and all the fry to be girls. My black mollies are 2 months old and they all seem to be girls no boys. Any input is great. Thanx.

Very possible, it's happened to me. :nod: In fact, it's been shown that pH has an effect on the gender of livebearer fry, so that may be the case. I think it was the higher pH = more females, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps the gonopodia of the males have not developed yet. Sometimes livebearers take a while to fully develop, the females may have males too, just without the usual signs. That's why people think some livebearers can change sex from female to male, it's just late developing males. :)

I thought that happened to my guppies, turned out they were just late bloomers. At about 5-6 months, the gonopodiums came out.

Yes it is possible, it's happened to me many times with my sailfin mollies. For years I had generations of females (from 1 male) and used to supply my lfs. When I gave them away to a friend, the change in the water, (either ph, temp or something else) they started to give birth to only males. She now has a tank full of my females and her males and is getting completely over run with them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back