Algea Block.....killed My Apple Snails.

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Oops!!!... Pond algea block by Science International.... One block treats 200l of water.....

I've just put about 70% of one block into my (inside garage) aquarium (130l), and within seconds,.... (deffo under 1 minute)...... all my Golden Apple snails (8 of 'em) were laying upside down completely extended out of their shells..... I immediately removed them to other tanks, where it looks like they're recovering..... The fish in this tank looks allright though.

Nowhere on the container is any statement that you must not apply where there are Aplle snails present.......

I'll keep a check though to see if it is effective to remove algea.... this specific tank is infested with hairy algea.
 
Copper poisoning most likely its common in algae treatments. Hair algae is a #### once established best to just rip out the plants and try your best to scrub the hell out of them.
 
You probably already know this but, I had a tank that was disgustingly swamped with hair algae. I added some True Flying Foxes, Probably To Many, But Within a week they had munched 90% of the stuff! In 2 weeks it had completely gone. I then re homed the foxes..
 
Nope!!!...those snails are not recovering... 30 seconds in the treatment before removing them.... They are dead snails.
 
They rarely do on ich treatments which also commonly contain high levels of copper.
 
Found a few more dead Apple snails behind the plants in that tank (12 dead in all).....(and STINKING :sick: )

Now I wonder, if it will have the same effect on my nuisance snails???.... I have a fry tank with unsightly amount of these hard shelled spiral snails..... Should I give it a go??....
 
Found a few more dead Apple snails behind the plants in that tank (12 dead in all).....(and STINKING :sick: )

Now I wonder, if it will have the same effect on my nuisance snails???.... I have a fry tank with unsightly amount of these hard shelled spiral snails..... Should I give it a go??....

does it also have fry in it? surely it would be better for the fry's health to wait if you do, but if not then you wouldn't lost much by trying...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top