Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Considering this is a new section i shall move my post here :) continuing to report on my constant algae problems in my tank :(
Ā 
and i wanted to be the first to post haha :p
Ā 
but anyway i have BBA i am slowly combatting that with spot dosing and over dosing Liquid co2 also testing out things with ferts and removal of phosphate that is in another thread so i wont talk about that here as such
Ā 
but yes algae is a pain

oh and something i have learnt over the last two days if you spot dose algae onĀ Echinodorus Rose plants the leaf you have done it on will melt and die instantly would not recommend doing this

Me and you both D:
Ā 
Can't get rid of my algae :p

ive gotten rid of BBA GWA and GHA.. had them all within 3 months. First thing I did was move the tank to a spot where it would get ZERO indirect or direct sunlight - that stopped the BBA... then the GHA started.. this was due to too intence of light, after I added some floaters I.E Frobgit salvania duckweed the GHA started to slow to a stop. for the GWA I continued with my weekly 50% W/C removed bio wheels from my filte, reduced surface breakage and it cleared on its own with waterchanges within a month.
Ā 
what worked for me may not work for you but its a start.
Ā 
I know BBA favors iron and low circulation.. indirect sunlight can be a culprit to get the ball rolling,.

Zikofski said:
Considering this is a new section i shall move my post here :) continuing to report on my constant algae problems in my tank :(
Ā 
and i wanted to be the first to post haha :p
Ā 
but anyway i have BBA i am slowly combatting that with spot dosing and over dosing Liquid co2 also testing out things with ferts and removal of phosphate that is in another thread so i wont talk about that here as such
Ā 
but yes algae is a pain
oh and something i have learnt over the last two days if you spot dose algae onĀ Echinodorus Rose plants the leaf you have done it on will melt and die instantly would not recommend doing this
You have a pressurised system yes? How do you have algae?

And is it wise to remove phosphates when your injecting?

well, no it is probably not wise but its not working anyway been two days and i still have high phosphates either test kits are wrong or the product i bought is a lie, on the other hand my tank is kind in an area of indirect/direct sun light so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the problem as well, altho my algae growth is stalling slowly it is no way as fast as it used to be i am trying to get my co2 good and the flow good too, my problem i think was flow :)

Flow, sunlight definately, and either not enough co2 or fluctuating co2.
I dont think high phosphate would of caused it. It wont be helping but certainly not the cause.
Yea wouldnt hurt to bring the phosphates down if they are that high. 2-3ppm is normally a good place to be.
I never test no3 and po4 as I EI. My levels are prob through the roof lol

haha yes i think i will be doing an EI method in the future but ye i have stopped dosing ferts for a few days, i never tested my tank usually but ye trying to just test really see what happened if i reduced my phosphate but ye doesn't seem to be working so far :(

In my experience, overdosing on macros and micros and pushing co2 as high as itll go (safely) is usually the best route in high techs.
Plants thrive and algae dies:)
Hey that rhymes. Poet and didnt even know it XD
My new moto

This Old Spouse said:
... and your feet show it because they're Longfellows ...
Lol!

Cant wait to get a pressurized system up n running again XD

haha cheers guys ye :) today i am dosing ferts again, seeming my phosphate levels and nitrate levels are not dropping so sod it :) just gonna dose my 50ml a day again may up it to 75ml per day and yep i have increased co2 back to green i may up it a tad again jut to the border of green funny cabomba and star grass seem to be the only thing growing, moss dosn't seem to grow in my tank what so ever, anubias but a snail is out pacing that, and my dwarf hair grass just seems to go brown over time and waste away

Zikofski said:
haha cheers guys ye :) today i am dosing ferts again, seeming my phosphate levels and nitrate levels are not dropping so sod it :) just gonna dose my 50ml a day again may up it to 75ml per day and yep i have increased co2 back to green i may up it a tad again jut to the border of green funny cabomba and star grass seem to be the only thing growing, moss dosn't seem to grow in my tank what so ever, anubias but a snail is out pacing that, and my dwarf hair grass just seems to go brown over time and waste away
Keep an eye on your bubble counter. Is it consistant? Might be worth taking daily video logs of your bubble counter and comparing them against each other because this really sounds like fluctuating co2 to me. Have another good check for leaks too.
And how full is your FE? When they get low they can become very inconsistent.

When checking for leaks dont forget your inline and check valves:)

yes, i shall be doing that is a good idea, the bubble counter is going so quickly i cant tell if its the same or not but ye new algae is getting less and less its hard to tell if it was new or old, Ā but worth a try i did check for leaks the other day and there was non so im sure there is no leak's but i am sure my diffuser is leaking at the seals into the water not into the surrounding air, if i nudge my co2 diffuser i have the NEW up inline one, i can hear ALL of the gas escaping into the tank all at once and then the pressure has to build up again very annoying sometimes

Zikofski said:
yes, i shall be doing that is a good idea, the bubble counter is going so quickly i cant tell if its the same or not but ye new algae is getting less and less its hard to tell if it was new or old, Ā but worth a try i did check for leaks the other day and there was non so im sure there is no leak's but i am sure my diffuser is leaking at the seals into the water not into the surrounding air, if i nudge my co2 diffuser i have the NEW up inline one, i can hear ALL of the gas escaping into the tank all at once and then the pressure has to build up again very annoying sometimes
I have no experience with these yet but from what I read, the old up inlines are supposed to be that bit more reliable.
Hmmm even so I doubt thats the issue. With your lights ferts and co2, your plants should be flourishing. I really dont get why you have this algae?????? Strange! Unless your no3 and po4 test kits are giving you false readings and you have insufficient macro ferts.
Thats the only other thing I can think of. Po4 test kits are normally very accurate, however no2 are very inaccurate.
This is going by API. But tbh this is exactly why I went EI as I got sick of testing and worrying about macro levels.

hmm well if you have a look at this post i haveĀ 
Ā 
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417342-relation-between-plants-algae-and-phosphatesferts/page-2#entry3517986
Ā 
then that shows how useless the Po4 test was i got, unless something in my tank is producing huge amounts of po4 and i mean huge amounts then ye but i was also get GSA yesterday wich shows a lack of po4 :S haha strage i followed why snazy said and yes i did get GSA as excepted and yes my bba is confusing :p haha but today i have noticed since upping the lights from 6 to 20hrs, i stoped dosing ferts arund 2 to 3 days ago and started yesterday again and BOOm my plants are thriving new growth of 3 to 4 leafs and some are fully grown leafs not just the usual ah i see new growth was like WOW that wasnt there yesterday how did you grow that so quicky but ye was wired

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back