Algae?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

khial

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 6 gal, planted tank with 9 platy fry bit of bogwood and small gravel, running a sponge filter air powered..

the tank is only 3 weeks old and is growing quite alot of algae on the bogwood and on the plants???

confused as its contents were out of my 100 litre and ive had no trouble with that one?????

any ideas suggestions??

How long are the lights on for (should be no more than 6-8hours a day)

Does the tank get direct sunlight? Any direct sunlight will soon result in algae

they are usually on for around 8-10 but come to think of it it does get a little sunlight throughout the day, i suppose i could tilt my blinds in the opposite direction

khial said:
they are usually on for around 8-10 but come to think of it it does get a little sunlight throughout the day, i suppose i could tilt my blinds in the opposite direction
Yeah i would say the lights are on for an hour or so too long but that doesnt hurt you. A tiny bit of sunlight grows algae fast. My 10g didnt get one bit of algae in it, then we moved it to the office room and its across the room but the sun comes in the window and hits the tank at about sunset and this makes my algae grow really fast. Im glad theres algae though, that way i dont have to spoil my pleco with veggies!

i suppose a little bit doesnt hurt much, especially if its feeding the fish....unfortunately mines too small for anything that will eat it, I've cut the hours the light is on, i dont turn it in untill around 1pm, as we like it on in the evening, ive been thinking of getting a blue LED strip (moonlight) so we can have the normal light on earlier in the day and swap them after 7 hours

you cant really see our tank without the lights as its tucked in a corner with no light, so i think the moonlight idea is the only option if we want to see it

Buy a plug with a timer built in for your lights. They are very cheap and you can set it to come on and off when you want - then you dont have to remember to turn them off and you can be sure your not leaving them on for too long.

Most reactions

trending

Back