algae stupid question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kenneth_kpe

Lider op da pises.
Reaction score
I have this algae in my tank i think its brown algae but its a bit hairy so im not really sure ( things you read on the net aren't really that descriptive for me :( ) anyways i took a picture and maybe you guys could help me out a little and tell me what kind of algae it is and how to get rid of it :) it also grows on the glass but really easy to remove with a sponge ( it turns kinda powdery when the sponge sucks it up )

btw can you see my fish ? :) hehehe i took a lot of photos and i dunno why that fish is always in the pictures haha gotta love them fishies :)

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 94
Looks brown, but at the same time, you look to have a quite heavily planted tank there. You are obviously doing something right. I notice some feathery type plants as well which are usually light demanding.

Brown "algae" is usually not algae at all but diatoms, and often a sign of poor light. In your case, I wonder if it is simply parts of your tank are being shaded by the other plants?

Ottos will eat brown "algae" as will most serious algae eaters.

im running 2WPG ( 30 watts on a 15 gallon tank via 2 strips with 7000K each) and hmmm the shaded part im not sure since the pictures i took were underneath the lightstrip most of the time but i might be wrong :) i have 2 ottos for a 15 gallon i dont think they are enough but i dont wanna go wrong and buy more ? are they enough ? :blink: hehe

Hehe, i was corrected by a botanist at one point that diatoms actually are algae, they are just a very simple form that uses silicon. http://www.indiana.edu/~diatom/diatom.html

How long has your tank been running? If it's a relatively new setup, it's perfectly normal and it will go away on it's own, in the meantime it's easy to wipe off plant leaves and glass. If the tank has been running for a long time and this algae has just occurred, it is probably due to insufficient lighting.

I think it normal, if the setup is new upto 6-8 month its normal, Brown algae (diatoms) will get a foot hold in a newly cycled tank but if there is enough light it will soon go away all by itself.

make sure your not overfeedig your fish and try to starve the ottos a bit. dont add that algae waffer or two for the next 2-3 weeks and you'll see the ottos will start eating the brown algae..

Most reactions

Back