Algae Problem

kharma2815

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My new tank that has been fishless cycled and has been stocked with fish for about a month now has suddenly developed really bad algae.

I've cleaned it out of the tank every single day for the past 8 days and the very next day it's back again.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, I have a Juwel 120 tank, temp is set at 76F, ammonia and nitrite are at 0ppm, nitrate is at 10ppm. Tank is stocked with with 8 Corydoras Julii, 10 assorted Guppies and 2 Pearl Gouramies.

Forgot to add, the algae seems to be brown instead of the usual green stuff that I get in the boys tank sometimes.
 
Brown algae seems to occur in a relatively new tank. If this a community tank with peaceful small fish, you can get some otocinclus algae eaters. My tank was horribly brown until I added these fish....they cleaned it up in 10 days. It is now pristine
 
Brown algae seems to occur in a relatively new tank. If this a community tank with peaceful small fish, you can get some otocinclus algae eaters. My tank was horribly brown until I added these fish....they cleaned it up in 10 days. It is now pristine

I actually thought of that but I've heard some real horror stories about having algae eaters in community tanks, things like them latching on to other fish and attacking their slime coating, which has always put me off.
 
I've heard this also.... but I don't know which type of algae eaters do this. I notice mine sometimes follow another fish for a foot or so, but I've never seen anything come of it. Mine are quite inoffensive
 
Chinese algae eaters can be terrors when they grow up. Some pleco species get immense, and even though they're harmless even to smaller fish, they may overwhelm your filter. Otocinclus are pretty harmless. There are rare cases of them attaching to slow flat bodied fish like angels and discus and rasping their slime coat, but if you keep them fed with fresh veggies and algae tablets, that shouldn't be an issue. Otos can be finicky about eating, though, they're just as likely to refuse to eat anything once the algae is gone as they are to start parasitizing your otehr fish.

Not sure how snails do with brown algae, but one apple snail (they have distinct sexes, so they need pairs to breed) or a group of nerite snails (their eggs usually don't hatch in freshwater, and their young probably won't survive if they do hatch) might help. Shrimp are a nice low-bioload option, too, but again I never used them on brown algae.
 
Otos are very good with brown algae as are Siamese algae eaters. As mentioned, stay away from Chinese AE as they can become a major problem. Most likely, it will clear up on it's own if its brown algae, It is fed by the silica released into the water from the silicone that seals the joints of the tank. Once those are gone, the algae will die off. Increased light is also said to work but I've always been afraid of increasing the lighting time for fear of triggering another type algae that's not so easy to get rid of.
 
Otos are very good with brown algae as are Siamese algae eaters. As mentioned, stay away from Chinese AE as they can become a major problem. Most likely, it will clear up on it's own if its brown algae, It is fed by the silica released into the water from the silicone that seals the joints of the tank. Once those are gone, the algae will die off. Increased light is also said to work but I've always been afraid of increasing the lighting time for fear of triggering another type algae that's not so easy to get rid of.

Have got a couple of snails for the tank and have covered it with a blanket to try and cut down on the light hitting it in the hope of stopping it from growing. My lfs tried to sell me some stuff to put in there to kill it off but I don't want to start messing with the chemistry of the water unless I absolutely have to.
 
Cutting down the light isn't going to help. I've been thru this with both my tanks. It is very frustrating. I got a Bristlenose Pleco for one tank with has helped alot, but he chases the Corys around on occasion.

As time goes on you will get less and less of the algae. Good thing is it is easy to get off. I found the mit that slips over the hand easiest and quickest.
 
don't feed your fish for a week and turn out the lights for a week... it will kill all tha algae... do a major water change and change your pads.. That should get rid of it.. then go out and buy some algae eaters... i like the common algae eaters... ottos work... also plecos.. giver a shot
 
Have got a couple of snails for the tank and have covered it with a blanket to try and cut down on the light hitting it in the hope of stopping it from growing. My lfs tried to sell me some stuff to put in there to kill it off but I don't want to start messing with the chemistry of the water unless I absolutely have to.
Brown algae isn't related to light. Actually, most things say to increase light to combat it but I don't think that is neccessary either. It is actually diatoms feeding on the silica. Once the silica is gone, it will die off. It is present in an new glass tank. and you are very smart to stay away from the algae killing chemicals. It is always best to avoid chemicals other than dechlorinators. And in the case of algae chemicals, they only treat the problem and don't solve it. Honestly, I don't think you hve anything to worry about. It will clear in a few weeks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top