Algae problem also!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sewfishy

Reaction score
I can't figure out what else to do. I have a problem with algae bloom you can't always tell I have fish unless they are right up front. This is what I have done so far.

I do regular water changes and cleaning (once a week 20%)
limit light to 8 hours a day
Amonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 2.5ppm
PH = 6.6
Phosphate = 0

I have 3 amazon swords, and a money wort in the tank which are all covered with algae and a large piece of bog wood also covered with algae. I know the tank is new, only up 2 months but it has been like this for over 3 weeks. The tank is far from overpopulated, and I am trying to feed them less. I want to get some bristle nose but am waiting for my current occupants of my quarentine tank to be moved out. I tried some otto's there was plenty of algae for them but they where fine then the next morning had died, I then read that they are sensetive to water conditions and my ph might be too low for them. Should I try something to get rid of the algae? If so which one?
Any help would be appreciated.

:(

SewFishy

:hyper: Wow! Both of our tanks sound very similar! My tank has been running for 2 months and brown algae started appearing a couple weeks ago. I don't know what to do to solve my algae problem too. Looks like we both have the same problem! :/

Is the algae brown and rubs off easily, yet seems to cover everything like a brown blanket? I've had that problem for about a week now. Been told it's diatom algae and normal for relatively new tanks. I reduced my light duration to 12 hrs and it seems to be slowly going away now. My swordtails seem to love it tho (yum yum)

:lol: I know what you mean Sasha, I did a search on algae so not to be redundant and found your thread. It sounded just like my problem so I kept checking it and comparing it to my algae problem. Unfortunately it may be one of those things that just has to work it self out. My DH said he saw a post that said the guy had it cloudy with algae for 3 months then it just cleared up on it's own. :crazy: I'm not very good with waiting especially when I see the pics of all the other crystal clear tanks and I have my 2 little ones asking when is it going to go away.

Have you had any luck with yours?

SewFishy
:fish:

Hi Sang72,
Sasha has the brown algae, mine is green so my fish where in the St. Patricks Day spirit all dressed in green :lol: :alien:

Was all stringy but when the fish where added they cut it down to size, now its short green with a lovely bloom :rofl:

SewFishy

Most reactions

Back