Algae Identification

🐠 The poll is open for the February TOTM! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MollyMan1

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
5
Location
Virginia, USA
This black algae has been in my dad's 55 gallon for a long time. Algae doesn't bother him, but for me it does. I was wondering if it is bad for anything. Anyone know what type it is? (I think it may be black beard algae)? What would be the best way to remove it, maybe hydrogen peroxide bath?

I don't know how easy it is to tell, but if you need better pictures I will get a good camera.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20221127_164943320.jpg
    PXL_20221127_164943320.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20221127_165046715.jpg
    PXL_20221127_165046715.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20221127_165023356.jpg
    PXL_20221127_165023356.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221127_165133003.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221127_165133003.MP.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
MollyMan1

MollyMan1

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
5
Location
Virginia, USA
Looks like Black Beard Algae. Hard to get rid of.
Maybe a peroxide bath for the decorations? Idk if the plant would do okay with that. Then for the filter maybe scrub hard with sponge or toothbrush? It would have been easier if he didn't let it slide for so long. He just doesn't care too much yk? As long as the fish seem happy and healthy he's okay.
 

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
19,665
Reaction score
11,563
Location
CA
Agree, that is black brush algae. Like most "problem" algae, it is not particularly dangerous except when it grows on plant leaves, eventually choking the leaf and it and then the plant dies.

Problem algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. In tanks without live plants, it obviously has plenty of nutrients and light. In planted tanks the aquarist must establish or restore the light/nutrient balance so the plants benefit but algae does not. The light intensity, spectrum and duration all factor in; for nutrients, there is the fish feeding and plant additives.

Do not ever use chemicals in a tank with fish. There is no point in doing anything beyond getting the light/nutrients in balance. Any "cleaning" will not last if the balance is not fixed.
 
OP
OP
MollyMan1

MollyMan1

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
5
Location
Virginia, USA
Agree, that is black brush algae. Like most "problem" algae, it is not particularly dangerous except when it grows on plant leaves, eventually choking the leaf and it and then the plant dies.

Problem algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. In tanks without live plants, it obviously has plenty of nutrients and light. In planted tanks the aquarist must establish or restore the light/nutrient balance so the plants benefit but algae does not. The light intensity, spectrum and duration all factor in; for nutrients, there is the fish feeding and plant additives.

Do not ever use chemicals in a tank with fish. There is no point in doing anything beyond getting the light/nutrients in balance. Any "cleaning" will not last if the balance is not fixed.
There is no live plants except for the one in the first picture which does have some on it. I just added another plant though (sword) as you know from my other post.
 

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
19,665
Reaction score
11,563
Location
CA
There is no live plants except for the one in the first picture which does have some on it. I just added another plant though (sword) as you know from my other post.

If the plants are to remain in this tank, you will have to address the algae issue as the algae will spread otherwise. What is the light data, spectrum, intensity, duration? Are you using any plant supplements/fertilizers in the water (I know about the substrate tabs)?
 
OP
OP
MollyMan1

MollyMan1

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
5
Location
Virginia, USA
I asked my dad about the light and he said he doesn't rememeber. He doesn't have a set duration each day, maybe a couple hours. Then on the weekend he keeps it on all day. He doesn't use any fertilizer except I added that tab.

When I asked him about these things he said he really doesn't care about the algae even if it kills the plant. His attitude is "if it dies then I'll buy a new one :(". I am not going to do the work for him, so I am just going to forget about this issue and hopefully he learns on his own. He is one of those people who just wings stuff.

Sorry for the trouble. Thank you for all the knowledge.
 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Top