algae hell

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

gaya

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have what seems to be a variety of hair algae. maybe it's not all hair, some of it looks like cobb webbing on plants. Has anyone tried the product algea destroyer by aquarium pharamceuticals? the bottle says it's supposed to be ok for fish and live plants.

I wouldnt use any chemicals just yet, try to find the root cause of the problem first.
Things like over feeding (fish and plants),lighting(direct and indirect) are many factors to consider.

I've reduced the lighting significantly and i barely have any plants in the tank. Most have died but i would like to save the ones that are left. I haven't been overfeeding. I have an angel, 3 small clown loaches, 3 ottos and 3 gups in there. hmmm. the plants that are in there are potted or floating. do you think i could pull them out and wash them or soak them in something? :)

edit: and btw, your tank is beautiful!

Sime said:
do you have tank and / or tap water readings for nitrate, phosphate and so on?
i've been meaning to get a phosphate tester but i don't have one. My water specs are always within range for ammonia, ites, ates, ph. I've always had problems with this specific tank. :( I have a planted tank right next to it that is flourishing. so frustrating.

I like removing algae without chemicals, so here is a good website to help identify and treat your algae problem. Good old plantgeek! :p http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

If it continues, try planting some fast growing plant species to outcompete the algae for light and nutrients. Hygrophilias are good!

gaya said:
some of it looks like cobb webbing on plants
Thread algae. I too have this problem. It's an indicator of excess Fe. Try going easy on your trace dosing for a while if you are and see if it clears up. I just pull the stuff out every w/c but it's really a pain because it grows so fast.

Most reactions

Back