algae eaters for a cichlid tank?

Tanked

Fish Herder
Reaction score
on friday may 30th I will get my new 55 gallon tank. I plan on setting it up after cycling with south amaerican cichlids and the one albino shark I currently have. what type of algae eating fish would go well in this, bearing in mind the tank will be heavilly planted eventually I don't want a common plec as he will destroy my plants, but need something tht will get big enough that green severums, angels, and firemouths will leave alone. my albino shark is very mild mannered and will only chase fish out of his hiding spot.

I really don't want a snail, would prefer a fish, but if there is not a compatible fish I will have to get a couple large snails, (don't snails eat plants too?)

Tanked said:
bearing in mind the tank will be heavilly planted eventually I don't want a common plec as he will destroy my plants, but need something tht will get big enough that green severums, angels, and firemouths will leave alone.
Severums will destroy a planted tank much quicker than any plec and firemouths arent exactly plant friendly either.
Most plecs will leave plants alone as long as sufficient green foods are offered (courgette,lettuce ect),i would get a few bristlenoses,true algea eaters (unlike some plecs) and very busy but big enough to not be eaten by curious cichlids.

I think that they do eat plants, and if you get more than 1 snail chances are you will have millions by the end of the month.
....I'm not sure but I think I have seen Chinese/Siamese Algae eaters in Cichlid tanks. We had a couple of common pl*cs in with our Cichlids but had to relocate tham because they produced too much waste, and they were bullying the Cichlids out of the prime caves and causing too much friction (they just don't seem to respect Cichlid territorial boundries)

south and central americans love to munch on snails. with cichlids the rule is if it will fit in their mouths it is called lunch.

semper fi

well another problem that you will have is cichlids with plants. they are notorious diggers and are always uprooting plants. some are eaten. sa/ca's see plants as a salad bar. can almost see a little tear come to their eye. what type of plants are you thinking about? a good algae eater in african tanks is the vc-10. they are very fast and love to eat algae. also a nice looking fish. they are loner fish and do well on their own. only look for others when they are in the mood.

semper fi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back