Algae Eater For Fluval Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

golfzzin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is there any suitible algea eaters for a fluval edge?

I currently have 7 neon tetras all getting on fine

Thanks

how many liters is it? what about otto's they are small - 1 inch.

Thanks
Otos are not suitable for the Fluval Edge, but I forgot the reason why... ???? :hey:
A much better algae eater would be a group of Red Cherry Shrimp or Amano Shrimp

Thanks
Otos are not suitable for the Fluval Edge, but I forgot the reason why... ???? :hey:
A much better algae eater would be a group of Red Cherry Shrimp or Amano Shrimp

Otto's like to be in groups so unless that is all you have in there then they are no good in an edge.

Shrimp would probably be the way to go as they have very little bio-load

also, Otocinclus need a lot of room to have sufficient algae. shrimp would be a good idea, as may some snail species. however, it would be best to find the root of the problem to stop the algae. what type of algae do you have?

cheers :good:

depending on the amount of flow, Hillstream loach would be suitable but you need high flow and highly aerated water

Thank you for all the replys

Not sure what type of algae i have, but there is white stuff by the filter??

Like the idea of shrimp, but do they try to escape?

how many gallons/liters is your tank?
that will let us provide you with the best answer. but for most small tanks, a sign of algae just means you need better maintenance.

Its 23l

The white stuff isnt that bad, just a tiny bit

Nerite Snails do an awesome job of munching algae and keeping the glass clean :good:

Its 23l

23 liters is just about 6 US gallons of water - this is a very small area of water.

besides a snail or a few shrimp, you cannot fit an algae eating fish into this tank.

This is also too small for neons - they should be in atleast a 10-15 gallon.

Neon tetras are also only supposed to be added into mature tanks (have been fully cycled for a minimum of 6 months.)

Which brings me to my next questions - - do you know about cycling? is your tank cycled? do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?

yep know about cycling now, didnt at first but i do now. My tank is cycled and i test often for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

what are you current readings?

how long as the tank been set up?
how did you cycle - fish in or fishles?
how long since the cycle has completed?

(just asking because those answers will also help figure out the algae problem)

Ammonia and Nitrite are both 0
Nitrate is 20

The tank has been like this for about two weeks

Unfortunatly i cycled fish in which took 6 weeks with daily 50 - 90% water changes, at the time of purchase i was unware of cycling till i joined this forum.

Thanks

Its 23l

23 liters is just about 6 US gallons of water - this is a very small area of water.

besides a snail or a few shrimp, you cannot fit an algae eating fish into this tank.

This is also too small for neons - they should be in atleast a 10-15 gallon.

Neon tetras are also only supposed to be added into mature tanks (have been fully cycled for a minimum of 6 months.)

Which brings me to my next questions - - do you know about cycling? is your tank cycled? do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle?
True, normal neons are too big for a Fluval Edge but Green Neon Tetras are fine in a Fluval Edge
Carl

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back