Algae Bloom!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jay-93

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right, I've had an algae bloom in my tank for a little over a week now. 

I added 3 moss balls, 5 GBR's and 8 penguin tetras to the tank around that time (before signs of the bloom), and since then, 4 of the rams have gone.

I've been doing regular changes and have done so anyway with having a Discus set up, but other than lights out and reduced feeding I'm not sure what else I can do.. Can't remember the last time I lost a fish, now 4 have gone in 3 days!

PH - 6.2
Amm - 0.5ppm
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

Any suggestions guys? 

Cheers :)

i would say that you added way too many fish in at a time, but is only 6 at most.... which probably triggered it. and how big is your tank?

i just had an algae bloom :( but treated it... what i did was scrubbed all the rock ( i have rock/planted tank :D) then scrubbed all surfaces... cut all the algae off the plants and any dead leaves... then cleaned sand (water change :D) then put a towel over the tank and said good night :p left it for a few days, scrubbed again and clean sand and boom under control :D

if you want the lights on them only have it on at 2hrs most, then lights out.. and cut on feeding.. fish will be find for a few days

It's a 55 gallon.

I have plants and bogwood in the tank as well :) I've left the light off for 2-3 days now

sounds good, you can still scrub the wood, and just monitor it and scrub and remove when you see it... should be able to get it under control in no time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back