Alder cones

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

So, what benefit is RO water and what do you need to get it? I’m wondering If it would help the fraying on my bettas tail ends since nothing else has worked.

Im guessing you use these for your Betta tank Deanasue. How many do you use at one time if you dont mind me asking? Do you change them monthly? :)
I put a couple in every couple of weeks. BI just let them break down. Shrimp love them too!

So, what benefit is RO water and what do you need to get it? I’m wondering If it would help the fraying on my bettas tail ends since nothing else has worked.
I use it for 2 reasons. My water is similar to London water in that it is best described as liquid rock. I don't want to keep livebearers and do like softwater fish. Almost as important is that our tap water has nitrates at 50ppm. I tried various ways of dealing with both issues over the years. Finally took the plunge and bought an RO fiter system this year as it is the easiest way for me to get rid of the nitrates and have soft water. The unit is not expensive but does waste a lot of water. Probably not needed for most tropical fish keepers.

It also means that for the nano which has CPD and cherry shrimp I have to add minerals because those would not survive in the super soft acidic water I have in the soft water tanks. I would just use tapwater for these if it wasn't for the nitrates. On the positive side limescale in my tanks is now non existant (and the coffee machine and kettle).

Last edited:
I put a couple in every couple of weeks. BI just let them break down. Shrimp love them too!
Thanks for that :) I can get them in packs of 25 and 50 from the company i like to use. I will only be using a small amount at a time.

Do you know if they keep well or do you have to use them in a certain time frame?

Thanks for that :) I can get them in packs of 25 and 50 from the company i like to use. I will only be using a small amount at a time.

Do you know if they keep well or do you have to use them in a certain time frame?
I’ve had mine just sitting in a bag next to the tank for Few months.

How small are Alder cones lol i know they were smaller than pine cones but not miniature size :lol:

Most reactions

Back