Alagae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Chappers15

Reaction score
Hi,
So I found this green spot of algae on my aquarium glass. Iā€™ve tried scrubbing it and it wonā€™t go away. Does anyone know what kind of algae it is and how to get rid of it (or if I need to get rid of it).

thanks
image.jpg

Could you try to get a more detailed picture, one from farther away and then another close up? And what did you scrub with?

A razor-based glass cleaner will likely do the trick.

its hard green spot algae. Often it is an indication of low phosphates. You can try dosing the water with Seachem phosphate fertilizer. But since you only have one spot Use your finger nail to scrape it off. Hopefully it won't come back. Typically the spots are smaller and a lot more spots.

The "fingernail" thing may work, but the OP did mention that his issue is reoccurring. As such it's not hard to suggest tougher cleaning methods.

Use the rough side of an a sponge sink cleaned..usually in green and yellow. Or,if just want to go over the whole tank- treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide. It should do in that hair algae you have.
I only warn the HP is hard on Moss and Val and a few other less famous plants. So,stick to something like a half teaspoon to 10 gallons of water. I think that's what it breaks down to. IF you remove the algae coated thing out of water..that's best..then after spraying it sits for 10-15 minutes,wash off and put back in the tank.

Most reactions

Back