Air pump recommendations please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I use a Danner Aqua Supreme AP-4 for my 35 gallon tall hex. I made a review awhile back on the forums. I see it offered on Amazon in the states for $17. It's powerful, has two outlets, and has ajustable flow via a knob.
Here's my review:

Thank you for all the recommendations! Looks as though Eheim is going to be the best choice for me, several people using it without problems is reassuring, and it'll be worth the extra tenner if it's reliable.
I've got all Tetra brand.pumps. A single outlet on the 10 gallon runnin one stone. I got a whisper quiet single outlet on the 38 gallon running one big stone. I have a whisper quiet dual outlet one on the 75 gallon piped into a single run to a block on the back which splits that into 4 runnin 4 big stones and 2 2 inch discs and 1 3 inch disc. No problem. They been running reliably for years now without issue. All purchased at WalMart. Cheap and effective.

How do you run more than two pieces of equipment if it's only a dual outlet? I'm still a newb when it comes to things like this! What block on the back?

Another shout-out for the Eheim.
I have the Eheim 400 which is running two air stones at the moment and, whilst not silent, is almost.
(I get more noise from the bubbles, to be honest).
I got mine from Amazon.
I'm one of those who believe that you get what you pay for and have used Eheim without issue, ever since I started fishkeeping, way back in '86.

Another shout-out for the Eheim.
I have the Eheim 400 which is running two air stones at the moment and, whilst not silent, is almost.
(I get more noise from the bubbles, to be honest).
I got mine from Amazon.
I'm one of those who believe that you get what you pay for and have used Eheim without issue, ever since I started fishkeeping, way back in '86.
I often feel like an oldy on this site, but you've been keeping fish since I was three, so I feel slightly better now... thanks!

I'm definitely going to order the Eheim, feel confident about it now! :D

Thank you for all the recommendations! Looks as though Eheim is going to be the best choice for me, several people using it without problems is reassuring, and it'll be worth the extra tenner if it's reliable.

How do you run more than two pieces of equipment if it's only a dual outlet? I'm still a newb when it comes to things like this! What block on the back?
The Eheim 400 I got came with 'Y' adaptors, so one outlet could run two stones. (Note that the outlet pressure is adjustable). You can buy all manner of adapters for silicone piping, so I suspect that, up to a point, you could add more Y adapters to run more equipmet, if you wanted to.
The pump has a rubbery hanger that allows you to hang the pump somewhere convenient. Obviously, if the pump's a-dangling, there's even less vibration and less noise as a consequence, although might is near-silent, sat on it's own rubbery feet.

The Eheim 400 I got came with 'Y' adaptors, so one outlet could run two stones. (Note that the outlet pressure is adjustable). You can buy all manner of adapters for silicone piping, so I suspect that, up to a point, you could add more Y adapters to run more equipmet, if you wanted to.
The pump has a rubbery hanger that allows you to hang the pump somewhere convenient. Obviously, if the pump's a-dangling, there's even less vibration and less noise as a consequence, although might is near-silent, sat on it's own rubbery feet.

I definitely get confused with all the attachments you can get to use on airlines!

multiprise.jpg

I definitely get confused with all the attachments you can get to use on airlines!
They can become very useful tools and cost very little. For example, I recently bought a pack of 10 valves, so that I can adjust the water flow in a fine syphon pipe, for less than a fiver. (I only need one, but I guess the others will come in, sometime).

Thank you so, so much for that!:cool:
Hahaha, thank you! ;)
:oops: Wow, do you know what these things are called?
They can become very useful tools and cost very little. For example, I recently bought a pack of 10 valves, so that I can adjust the water flow in a fine syphon pipe, for less than a fiver. (I only need one, but I guess the others will come in, sometime).

This is true. When I accidentally blew up my tetra pump by turning it off while the airstone was still in the water, I learned all about how important water check valves are. £2 would have saved me a lot of money!

I use t-values to run a small bit of airline from each output to the t-valve, so I can run a single piece of equipment on them, after finding out they wouldn't run two separate airlines, no matter how much I tried to adjust the flow. But that's about the extent of my airline knowledge.

Agree, i think the gang valves like the photo is what Avel is referring to, I use one of these on my air pump to run 3 separate tank filters. And, you always want an extra valve so you can "bleed" the air, allowing the pump to run at max which will be better than restricting the air.

Attachments

• air gang valve.jpg
    air gang valve.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
Add my name to the Eheim appreciation group. I've been running the 200 and 400 without issue for some time.

Another I have used (because Eheim were out of stock) is the Oase OxyMax 200, which I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a clone of the Eheim as the layout of the controls is quite similar. The volume is quite similar too.

You guys are the best, thank you so much!

I'll be doing more research on gang valves then, I don't think I need anything like that yet, smaller dual outlet Eheim should suit what I need, but since I just bought another tank rather than reducing my four current tanks to two, I might well need one in the future! Also with the way the cories keep breeding, you never know when you'll need yet another airstone or sponge filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back