Air Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dragonscales

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was in my lfs the other day and seen some things called air plants, like the terrestrial variety, and decided to enquire about them. I thought that they may have been fake plants or something but they aren't. The lady said that alot of people keep them in fish tanks. They came in a plastic wrapper and looked like crape paper. She showed me one that was in a tank and it looked like a normal every day plant rather than dry in the container. I was just wondering if anyone has ever kept them and if they are safe for aquarium use as they looked pretty nice. Any advice would be greatly apreciated

Most terrestrial plants used in the aquarium tend to die after a few months and rot away in the tank. I tend to stay away even though some are very good looking

What mustang says is good general advice, I've been trying to find out what these things are that you have seen, I've not been able to.

I have kept several "airplants", bromelliads and Tillandsia's all of which grow in wet places, around waterfalls and in the rain forerest canopy, but I've never seen an "airplant" that was aquatic, it seems somewhat contradictory in terms.

Were these things expensive?

Wouldn't Java fern or moss be considered a submerged "air plant"?

"Air plant" is almost always referring to either something fake, or a Tillandsia or other bromeliad species. These are adapted to utilize atmospheric moisture instead of using roots to get moisture from the soil. In short, they are not aquatic. They live in the tops of trees, they are epiphytes, i grow several species on my balcony. The low light versions do well in terrariums due to the high humidity, and i imagine they would do well suspended under the lights but above the water of an open top aquarium. Don't submerge "air plants" for more than 10 to 15 minutes if dry air has dessicated them.

I know about the terrestrial ones, Gardening is another of my hobbies, was just wondering if there was maybe an aquatic plant similar to air plants that can be dried out for transportation and because of this they are calling em the same thing. They didn't cost much, couple of bucks maybe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back