AI v.s. Human

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TwoTankAmin

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
So all this Hoo Ha re AI got me thinking about exactly what AI seems to be and here is what I concluded.

Essentially, if any one of us wrote most anything that the AI spits out, we would be guilty of plagarism.

I read scientific papers. But I am not a scientist. So there is a limit to what I am able to do regarding the validity of the testing methodolgies involved. I have no idea what is the most up to date or the most accurate method of assessing genetic factors. I have to asked one of the PhDs out there to tell me me if the methodology used was the best and most accurate available or if it has been replaced by something better. I do not know if they used method A tha t method B would have bee better. There is no way for an AI to determine this.

Here is the best way I can put this. I have been cooking for over 60 years. I start with a recipe from a cook book like the Joy of Cooking. I make the dish and I try it, Because I know my way around a kitchen and i am familiar with ingredients, the next time I make the dish I will alter the ingredients some.

Taste is a subjective in terms of what I like you don't and vice versa. The AI cannot make a subjective judgement about how to improve a recipe so it tastes better. Because what tastes better to me tastes worse to you. And this gets more complicated. I love tomatoes, I love tomato sauce. This is not secret, so if the AI looked at how much I like and how often I consume tomatoes and tomato saucy things, it would conclude I love tomato soup. I don't. I never eat tomato soup because I really dislike the taste. But the AI would never figure this out.

As far as I can tell AI is just a fancy calculator. If it cannot find information in digital form, it cannot find it at all. It would require that information be entered by one of us actual intelligent beings.

Here is a challenge, ask the AI to make you laugh.........

Last edited:
AI is what it is. The issue is how it will be controlled, as it will. People tend to see it as a 'free and independent' thing, which is naive. We once thought the internet would be a force for the free exchange of info. AI will be owned and manipulated for various interests. I think we learned that from watching how the internet came to be privately controlled, like other media.

On a different note, apparently, it is now possible to produce descriptions of fish that have never existed. That's going to be great for learning as we go forward. We'd better sharpen our skepticism skills, or we'll get played. AI is going to make independent thinkers and learners work very hard.

I have long believed that rather than the slate of "____ Studies" requirements we now foist upon our college students (at my institution as well - we are equally culpable), we should be requiring each student take at least one course each in classical philosophy, formal logic, and rhetoric. I think AI has made this true now more than ever.

Like all technology, AI can be used for good, or for malicious purposes. But at this point, AI is in its infancy. The current software versions of AI do not possess the full intellectual potential of the human mind. But perhaps in 25 years AI will function at the level of human intelligence. Right now it is fun to play with. if you haven’t already done so, download the chat GTP app. you can ask it just about any question, and it will respond with a cogent answer in less than a second. It also creates pretty lovely poetry. Ask it to write you a poem about a fish. You will see. It is a fun tool.

Let me know when the AI can tell you which tastes better, Coke or Pepsi. And then you why.

Let me know when the AI can tell you which tastes better, Coke or Pepsi. And then you why.
Here what Chat GTP says, “As an AI language model, I don't have personal preferences or tastes like humans do. However, the taste of Coke and Pepsi is a subjective matter that varies from person to person. Some people may prefer the sweeter taste of Pepsi, while others may prefer the slightly more acidic taste of Coke. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide which one they prefer based on their own taste preferences.”

Simple
The proof of which is better is in the popularity numbers.

In 2019, Coca-Cola had a market share of 43.7%, while Pepsi had a market share of 24.1% in the United States.

Anybody watch 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago ? They said that Googles AI gizmo read everything on the internet in six months. They also showed robots that taught themselves how to play soccer. I think it’s creepy.

Anybody watch 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago ? They said that Googles AI gizmo read everything on the internet in six months. They also showed robots that taught themselves how to play soccer. I think it’s creepy.

It's less creepy if you picture a bunch of Terminator robots awkwardly kicking a soccer ball around.

Now if you want an AI pet, I introduce AIBO

Last edited:
well the issue with AI is that it simply doesn't work...people have been trying different approaches over and over and over again...
the latest hype being gpt with a language model capable of answering things from it's database...
so when this happens:
Another thing about AI: it will probably end up taking a lot of people's jobs. Cheaper to use AI for customer service, sales, etc. than to pay people.
people will be forced to do jobs they wouldn't do otherwise...
the problem I believe is when someone comes up with a robot capable of walking and talking to be able to do other common jobs...
with the amount of people we have in the world..that will lead to stealing...break-ins...and civil wars
if 1/4 of the population is jobless what do governments think will happen? they will sit idle crying all day complaining about not having a job?
greed of companies not wanting to pay workers will be the reason why problems start
true A.I would have to mimic an actual brain and when someone does invent it it won't be announced by it's creator..it'll just take over
and then 1 of 2 things happen...either it destroys us...or we have the best invention ever made on our hands
and if the 2nd..then would be a matter of time until we're all somewhat immortal with super abilities and moving on to other planets
thing is..many people believe we live in a cycle..where every so often we go into an ice age..
that means for us to actually escape this cycle we would have to progress faster and actually escape it either with AI or by moving on into the universe...
and with greed such as the companies we have in the world...I don't think this cycle will be it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back