Agressive gourami! (female) i think

zshopa

Reaction score
hello in my tank i have a large angel fish and a (female) gourami i decided to get a male for it and as soon as i put it in she began to chase it she became very aggressive and now bites my angel. the angel fish is like 10 times its size
WHAT should i do!? and why is this happening?

please respond quickly

I don't have personal experience with this, but I have read elsewhere that angelfish and gourami do not make good tankmates. Can you take the gouramis back to the lfs and try something more compatible? Nothing too small that might get eaten, and nothing too fast or nippy. You might want to pick up some Melafix for the injured fins. If you can't take them back, you could try a tank divider, but you don't say what size tank you have.

unfortunately my tank is only 10 gallons. but i have decided to get a new one. so thanks for the help

im not convinced your agressive gourami is a female. (sorry if im wrong)

i too have a gourami that is a bully and i thought it was the female at first but closer inspection convinced me it was the male. people say the males are darker but this means the spots/marks are darker but i find that the overall colour on the body is palaer. Also the female has a rounder belly and a more rounded dorsal fin.

zshopa said:
unfortunately my tank is only 10 gallons. but i have decided to get a new one. so thanks for the help
If you get a new tank for the angel, get one that's at least 18 inches tall, preferably 20. Angelfish need tall tanks for their fins to develop properly. A 50 gal or so would be a good minimum size. Of course, the bigger the better. :)

ye i know its too late for the fins to develop hehe, its 6 years old and was born in my aquarium.

Im absolutely sure that its a female, their roles have reversed now. the male chases the female.

and im probably gonna get a 29 gallon tall tank for my angel and a few coreys
are there any fish that my angel wouldnt mind. even like?

Most reactions

Back