Aggressive Molly

melissaB

Reaction score
About a month ago I set up a new 18 gallon tank with 2 mollys (1 dalmation, 1 black), 2 sunset platys and 5 neon tetras, plus 2 unknown variety of fish. In the last week the black molly has become extremely aggressive almost to the point where the other fish are all hiding behind the filter continuously. Yesterday 1 of the unknown fish died and this morning the other, I am sure this is due to the black molly constantly bullying them.

There is no obvious disease in the tank and I have tested the water and this is fine. Any ideas on how to stop the molly being so aggressive. I cannot move to another tank etc as I don't own one. :sad: :thumbs:

you could allways take it back to the shop. most good fish shops will at least trade it for a different one. i think that what ever killed your poor unknown fish the bullying molly cant have helped things. good luck what ever you choose to do.

Is the molly aggressive because she is pregnant? Do you have enough hidey places in the fish tank for the fish to retreat to? Maybe some bushy plants will do the trick.

Or you might have to take it back to the shop and ex-change it.

I know what you are going threw I have 2 black mollies and they whip everything in the tank I tried to take the mollies back to the lfs and she wouldnt have them back she said they were killing off the rest of the mollies. Everybody says they are peaceful fish dont have a clue as to what they are talking about. I just added some bigger fish it took a black shark to calm my 2 down when the shoe is on the other foot they will slow down, if I were you I would buy me something that will run them around for a while trust me they will stop if they are bullied for a while.

I agree, though I'm fairly new to mollies.

We have a dalmation mollie that is pestering a black and a golden mollie. We added a betta, and it tried to bully the betta-but not for long.

This is a very mellow betta, but I would guess that there's a certain point beyond which it won't allow aggression, and the betta stood up for itself. The mollie, at least for the past day or so, has been behaving itself. We'll see how this goes, but I'd believe that the betta can handle himself.

I've had the same experience with my mollies, not sure if it's related to breeding, but I suspect so. Fortunately we have a tetra tank for our bad mollie time outs! They don't harass the tetras at all! :D

I know what you mean. I have a molly that was pestering my two white mollies. I've heard adding or changing around the plants and decorations helps stop this. So I added a fake tree plant and it stopped. I've only had it in there for acople days now so I don't know if stay this way. I hopeit does because the two white mollies are recovering from labor and I don't have another tank to put them in.

:rolleyes: Thank you for your help. The other molly in the tank (dalmatian) was pregnant. I noticed about 8 babies last night, will this be it or will she have more in the next few days.

I have nowhere to move them to, I am going to add more plants and hope for the best.

I am also concerned the volume of the tank may have been calculated incorrectly due to my bad measurements.

Does anyone know how to work out the volume of a hexaganal tank.

Thanks

Melissa

melissaB said:
:rolleyes: Thank you for your help. The other molly in the tank (dalmatian) was pregnant. I noticed about 8 babies last night, will this be it or will she have more in the next few days.

I have nowhere to move them to, I am going to add more plants and hope for the best.

I am also concerned the volume of the tank may have been calculated incorrectly due to my bad measurements.

Does anyone know how to work out the volume of a hexaganal tank.

Thanks

Melissa
Should well be more babies - up to 30! She may have eaten some though!

More plants should help but the mollies do have quite big mouths so the fish will have to survive a long time while they grow - do you have a net breeder for them to begin with?

Volume hexagonal tank :| Sorry Pass!! Post a question about it in "Hardware" someone must know! :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back