Aggressive Garra Rufa

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

chrislewis71

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a "newbie" to all this and am currently having a few problems with my 100litre tank. I started off with a garra rufa and 3 neon tetras and everything seemed fine, the garra rufa fed on th algae, all 4 fish were happy, etc, etc. Anyway, on Saturday we introduced another 5 neon tetras and again for a day or so everything seemed ok. 
However... on Monday the garra rufa turned against his companions and now spends half his time chasing the neons around the tank. At the moment the neons seem unharmed but for how long it'll stay this way I don't know. Any thoughts on the problem, can garra rufas not live harmoniously with neon tetras? Is the garra rufa nervous because of the changes to his tank? Or is he just lonely?
Many thanks for your time.

Having a similar problem. My doctor fish has recently become very aggressive toward my koi.

can garra rufas not live harmoniously with neon tetras?
Just in terms of basic requirements they shouldn't be kept together. The doctor fish prefers cooler flowing water and the tetras need warm still water.

Is your tank mature? This is what SF has to say:
Not difficult to keep in a well-maintained set-up, but a display arranged to resemble a flowing stream or river, with a substrate of variably-sized, water-worn rocks, sand, fine gravel and perhaps some small boulders, is highly recommended. This can be further furnished with driftwood roots or branches, and hardy aquatic plants.

Most importantly, the water must be clean and well-oxygenated with turnover preferably in excess of 10 times per hour; additional powerheads and airstones can be employed to achieve the desired flow and oxygenation if necessary. Bright lighting will promote development of biofilm on solid surfaces, upon which the fish will graze.

Since it needs stable water conditions and grazes biofilm this species should never be added to a biologically immature set-up, and a tightly-fitting cover is necessary since it can literally climb glass.
The behaviour could simply be stress if these requirements are not being met.

(Oh and the neon tetra don't like bright lighting)

I'm sorry but there are several significant issues here.

First, as others have mentioned, Garra rufa is not a "tropcal" species and must be kept in its own tank. Second, the tank of 100 liters is not large enough, you need at least a tank measuring 120 cm length by 45 cm width (48 inches by 18 inches) just for one G. rufa. Third, you cannot keep this fish with small fish like neons which need very different environmental conditions. More here:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-rufa/

Unless you have a large tank now, you should return the Garra rufa as it will only decline more and more in the present conditions. The fish certainly is stressed by the above.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back