Aggressive fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Colinprc

Reaction score
Hi all I have had this tank for just over a 2 weeks I have taken it on from a friends son who has gone to university he was ment to give me a list of the fish I have change to a better one and got new heater but my problem now is one fish picking on an other the same as it that’s little smaller

so I am asking is what fish is it and should there be 2 in same tank and 2nd pic is the other fish he is chasing maybe a female
274FC8DF-9679-4824-AA8F-011079AF7333.jpeg
C0212D52-39AF-407B-8061-E77359508CEF.jpeg
♂️. He is constantly chasing both of the fish and really going hard on the smaller guy

sorry kinda got dumped in the deep end trying to do my best

thanks in advance Colin

These are cichlids, and males are aggressive to varying degrees depending upon species. The second (right) photo is a Firemouth, not sure of the other. You need to separate these or the FM will likely be dead before too long. I will leave it for the cichlid experts to comment in detail.

Can you post more pictures? Which fish is picking on who? What size tank do you have? and are there any other fish?

I really cant tell at all what the first one is and really have no idea from what I'm seeing.

2nd might be a firemouth, or a geophagus. Kinda hard to tell from the angle of the picture.

A side profile of each fish can help us identify them better.

Hi got pics best I could the main one being bullied is hiding in the plants but is a twin of the big one but size of the other if that makes sense
39E89F45-0845-4CA1-8F2D-1EF2AE23B866.jpeg
C982B97D-4558-45AC-9F7D-4004562F05E1.jpeg
0D369FBF-0CCD-4592-AD3F-201ECAE8FD58.jpeg
F1DBD914-EA37-4E51-886A-B8B1FE411DBE.jpeg

They are all geophagus of some sort. The big one is a red hump eartheater. They are semi aggressive, but still mostly peaceful. They are good tank mates generally. Looks like the fish are all very healthy.

I'd be able to get you the species of the 2nd one after some Google searches. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks for Your help

No problem.

Also just to add, some aggression is normal as long as the fish can defend itself or take proper cover, things won't go so bad.

If a fish is being relentlessly chased to the point where it is just hiding in a corner or becomes injured, something needs to be done or the fish will die.

Geophagus hondae or steindachneri, and they are bullying the Bolivian butterfly cichlid (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)

Geophagus hondae or steindachneri, and they are bullying the Bolivian butterfly cichlid (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
The two fish in this pic are bullying one the same as the one I have circle but it’s the size of the smaller one
54D115A2-B6F8-4F2D-B41D-B8CA3637CC10.jpeg

If you have 3 Geophagus hondae or steindachneri in the tank and 2 are picking on the third one, then you need to move the third one out so it doesn't get killed.

The male has the red patch on his head and the female doesn't have a red patch.

All cichlids are territorial and when a pair sets up home and wants to breed, any other cichlid in their territory will be attacked and driven out of the area. If the fish can't get away, it will normally be killed.

Thanks I managed to take him out lastnight he is in a big bucket at the moment With a heater and filter any thoughts on where I could rehome him pls

I called the lad who’s tank it was and he said ask at local shop see if they can take him ‍♂️ Do they do that kind of thing

Some pet shops will buy back fish and others don't. Give your local pet shop a call and see if they take unwanted or surplus fish. In Australia most shops give 1/2 retail price in credit and 1/3 retail price for cash. Shops in other countries might offer less or more.

If the shops won't take the fish, see if there is an aquarium or cichlid society near you. Take the fish to one of their meetings and put it on the raffle table.

The final option is to keep it in the bucket or get another tank for it.

Most reactions

trending

Back