Aggresive Leopard Danios

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kat30

Reaction score
Hi there, :good:

I'm new here and only 6 weeks into my new fish hobby. I am still in the process of stocking my 43L tank. At the mo I have 3 Black neon tetras, 1 zebra danio, 2 leopard danios and 1 plec catfish. The 3 danios were bought together as what I thought were all zebras, it is only now a couple of weeks later that they have grown and 2 of them are quite obviously leopard danios. The problem is, they seem quite aggressive. I know that they are considered to be active fish but they do seem to chase each other and the black neons I have all the time. Will this be because there are only 2 of them or are they just aggressive by nature? One does tend to do it slightly more than the other.

I was planning to add to my tank today, I was hoping to get 4 rosy tetras as my reading are all spot on. I'm a bit unsure whether to or not with these aggresive little couple still being so bossy.

Can anyone give any advice on what I should add next or in fact there's anything else I should be doing.

Many thanksin advance
Kat. :rolleyes:

Theres a few issues with your current set up that can easily lead to these behavour issues:

1) All tetra species need to be in groups of atleast 5-6.

2) Danios are very active fish and need lots of space to move around, 43l will more then likely be too small for them.

3) I can think of any plecs that are small enough for 43l, id seriously recommend getting an ID for it by posting a photo on here.

Good luck.

When danio's are kept in groups too small they can become very nippy, your best bet would be to get another 3 leopard or zebra danio's- leopard/zebra danio's are actually the same type of danio, just two different pattern/colour varieties, so it doesn't matter much if you choose to get more leopards or zebra's as long as you get about 3 more.
What is the length and width of the tank though :) ? The tank is on the small side for danio's, however depending on its length and width it may be ok.
I would advise getting more black neons as well, but not getting rosey tetras as once you have the neons and danio's sorted out the tank will have a lot of shoaling fish and you don't want to over-crowd the tank with such fish. You should also find out what type of pleco you have exactly as they are hundreds of types of plecos.

Most reactions

Back