After cycle delay in introducing fish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lupomen

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of a fishless cycle and all seems to be going as predicted at the moment, I am following the advice by the Dr Tims products. I have a 55 gallon tank filtered by two oase 350 biotherms filled heavily with biological media (biohome ultimate). When and if the cycle completes in the manner it may / should do, there may be a delay of perhaps a week or slightly more, before I can add a quantity of fish to the system (Mbuna). My question please is, if the cycle is complete and there is no biological load as such on the system at that time, do I need to be adding some ammonia to preserve the bacterial levels until fish are added ?
Any advice appreciated, many thanks.

Paul.

The bacteria should be fine for a week without food, however if you want to add some ammonia every couple of days it will be fine to.

Yes, I'd add some ammonia too, Especially if you plan on stocking it fairly soon, otherwise you'll run short of bacteria. and fish will die. The more bacteria you can build up in advance of adding fish the better. I know I've made that mistake a couple of times. The online vendors often include "free shipping" if you purchase more than a certain amount. Free shipping can be worth $29.99-49.99 or even more. but you find yourself purchasing fish or tools you don't reallly want.

Yes, I'd add some ammonia too, Especially if you plan on stocking it fairly soon, otherwise you'll run short of bacteria. and fish will die. The more bacteria you can build up in advance of adding fish the better. I know I've made that mistake a couple of times. The online vendors often include "free shipping" if you purchase more than a certain amount. Free shipping can be worth $29.99-49.99 or even more. but you find yourself purchasing fish or tools you don't reallly want.
Thanks, as I live on an island and I'm stocking juvenile Mbuna I will be adding a number of fish at once so I'll take the advice and "feed" the bacteria whilst I organise the shipment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back