After A New Inmate

pscl227

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lancaster
Hey,

Going to a very large fish store this evening to pick up some supplies, but i would also like to get a new fish tonight as well, my stats are:

-Freshwater tank established for 1 year
-7 Rasboras
-1 Male Bolivian Ram
-~50 cherry shrimp

-Well planted
-26 degrees
-20 Gal (deep, not long)
-Gravel Substrate

Not exactly sure what i am after, would like a female Bolivian Ram, but they are hard to come across and hard to sex when young.

Would like something with a bit of character, a bit different, and something that is happy to feed on flake.

any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paul
 
Would there be any other dwarf cichlid that would be compatible with the current inmates?
 
It would be risky adding a female ram to a 20g deep tank anyway as they don't always get along. How about a gourami or betta (I've never kept betta with rasbora but I've read a few posts where people say they work fine). Maybe a single loach of some sort? One of the smaller ones like yoyo or polkadot. Though it might hide quite a lot as they prefer to be in groups, but your tank is too small for 4+ loaches.

Also, it's tankmate not inmate =)
 
Apistos are nice, pretty colours and from the same region as rams, will eat flake.

How about a few corydoras, they're peaceful and fun to watch, bottom feeders which require catfish pellets.
 
I used to have a pearl gourami, but i had to give it away as all the movement from the rasboras used to spook it and it would just hide away all day and not eat. I transfered it to my hospital tank, and it was like a completely different fish, but unfortunately it was not a viable long term solution. So in short i am going to give the Gouramis and Anabantoids species group a miss.
 
Apistos are fine to keep with rams, i always got the impression there would be conflict between them.

I shall do some research on this subject as i have always wanted to keep Apistos!
 
I think you can keep apistos and rams but they need their own hiding territories, caves etc.
 
what about a male super delta betta in a striking colour that stands out against the browns, greens, plants etc.. like a delta/super delta in white or blue etc,,,
 
Off to the shop in an hour, so any more suggestions that i can do some research on before i go?

Cheers
 
Well i went to the shop last night, LOTS of old world cichlids, not to much in the new world section however!

I ended coming home with 6 "venus guppies" a bit of a step backwards for me as i haven't kept guppies for a long time, but they are very sweet looking.

I do believe they are actually guppy-endler hybrids
 

Most reactions

Back
Top