After A Collection At Local Pond

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Today I took a trip to the local pond, and saw some cool critters swimming about in there, so I went my house and came running back with a net and a baggie, I caught a whole bunch of two different kinds of animals, can someone help me identify them? (I'll have pics and a maybe a vid soon)

My ideas on the the two creatures I caught are that I have brine shrimp and mosquito larvae, here are some paint drawings that I did of the creatures:

First one (brine shrimp maybe?) (side view, and what it looks like how they swim) :
pondanimalshrimpish.jpg

Second one (mosquito larvae?):
pondanimallarvae.jpg

P.S. I just did a google search and brine shrimp and mosquito larvae match exactly with what I saw:
First one:
brineshrimp.jpg

^^^I google image searched brine shrimp, and this picture looks exactly like what I have, except mine is orange, and a bit less feathery.

Second one:
mosquitolarvae.gif

mosquitolarvae2.jpg

^^^I google image searched mosquito larvae and looks exactly like what I have

P.P.S. I also recognize that I caught some daphnia in there! Woo! :hyper: :shout:

So I have some questions now, if the first creature is brine shrimp, then how the heck would they be in a pond in Minnesota, which is in north central US, very very far away from saltwater. Perhaps someone could help me if I described this pond, okay here it goes:

This pond is somewhat large, it is usually covered by dense tall terrestrial plants because during the summer it completely dries, but during spring, like now, it floods and there is about a foot of water. The water looks extremely red and black, and probably has a low pH becuase it has a huge amount of decaying leaf clutter on the bottom. (BTW-When taken out of the pond the water looks yellow). I guess this would fit brine shrimp becuase their eggs can stay in dry conditions (like fall,summer,winter) then hatch when wet (spring). But I have no idea how brine shrimp could live there, I can't see how the water would be salty. I have seen animals like leeches in the water, I caught some daphnia, and last year frog tadpoles could be seen in the water, and I don't think these animals can survive saltwater. Also the pond borders a new development, and a forest-type area (or what used to be one, before the construction workers came in)

Second question: Could I feed all these animals to my fish? Would there be any adverse effects? (like bringing in other pests?) Could I breed these animals?(brine shrimp and daphnia i mean, I want to feed the fish the mosquito larvae quickly, so that they wont turn into mosquitos in my room!)

Third question: Could I transer these guys into a 1 gallon ice cream bucket with added dechlorinated tap water? Right now they are swimming in some pond water that I collected and put in a plastic bag, and they have been like that for about 6 hours already, and looks like all are alive.

BTW - I will upload a video in some time, if dialup and photobucket cooperates with me...

Also, If it is brine shrimp, daphnia, and mosquito larvae, then my fish are going to be having some nice food for the next few days!!! :drool:

Haha, I know my grandfather's house has a magnificent fountain that clogged once, and boy, did the mosquito larvae come down in flocks. We scooped/filtered out a good amount and fed them to his bettas. They've never been happier. :nod: But yeah, do feed them quickly, they turn into mosquitos fairly quick. >.<

I don't know that any actual diseases from the bugs could pass to the fish - most diseases can't jump like that, but perhaps parasites could. However, I'd doubt it. At least, I can't think of any that would.
However, something dangerous could definitely be stuff like pesticides, herbicides, and other icky chemical runoff. With a construction site nearby, I'm not so fond of that idea. certainly don't put that pond water in your tank if you want to play it safe.

I doubt it's brine shrimp. Certainly not the water parameters for it, as you pointed out, and there's plenty of other crustaceans out there that it could be. I'm assuming brine shrimp is just the most popular cause its the easiest to hatch and whatnot. However, I don't doubt that your fish wouldn't enjoy it. ^^"

Haha, I know my grandfather's house has a magnificent fountain that clogged once, and boy, did the mosquito larvae come down in flocks. We scooped/filtered out a good amount and fed them to his bettas. They've never been happier. :nod: But yeah, do feed them quickly, they turn into mosquitos fairly quick. >.<

I don't know that any actual diseases from the bugs could pass to the fish - most diseases can't jump like that, but perhaps parasites could. However, I'd doubt it. At least, I can't think of any that would.
However, something dangerous could definitely be stuff like pesticides, herbicides, and other icky chemical runoff. With a construction site nearby, I'm not so fond of that idea. certainly don't put that pond water in your tank if you want to play it safe.

I doubt it's brine shrimp. Certainly not the water parameters for it, as you pointed out, and there's plenty of other crustaceans out there that it could be. I'm assuming brine shrimp is just the most popular cause its the easiest to hatch and whatnot. However, I don't doubt that your fish wouldn't enjoy it. ^^"

(In response to the bold) Hmmm... What do you think I should do then? The construction site is about 50 yards away from the pond and they are building single family residential homes, and the pond is in a "conservation area". I have seen frogs near the pond also (tadpoles in the water too). Since frogs have very permeable skin, and are very sensitive to pesticides, yet there are many many frogs (plus snakes that eat the frogs :crazy: ) there, so perhaps there is no chemical runoff.
I think the way I'll feed the fish the food is that I'll take the bugs out with a net, rinse them in new dechlorinated tap water, then dump the bug into the tank only.

Also- The bugs are in a plastic ziploc bag, within another plastic ziploc bag. Do they need any aeration at all?

I've fed these sorts of critters to my fish in the past, especially mosquito larvae. Never had a problem but I wouldn't be able to say it's OK for certain. Your concerns are definitely warranted. Also, I'm confident about the quality of the water in this creek. My son is constantly bringing home all sorts for things from the creek at the end of the street. Crayfish, minnows, small sunfish and bass, dragonfly nymphs, turtles, forg toads and more. He has kept lots of them in small aquariums and jars for short periods to observe them. I used to do the same thing as a kid. It's a great way to learn.

I'm no expert, but I think you're right... if the rest of the wildlife is still flourishing, it'll probably be safe. Heh, Minnesota's a heck of a lot cleaner then.. NJ, with its convenient runoff from factories and NYC's junk. :angry:
So yeah, it'll probably be okay. Perhaps start slow though, just in case you see any problems arising.

The net rinsing idea is a good one, I'd go with that. :good:

Everything needs oxygen to live. Since their O2 demand is probably really low though, I'm sure they'd be fine in there for a few hours. Longterm though, I think it'd just be easier to make frequent trips to the pond, hahaha, or get them situated/breeding in perhaps even something as simple as a jar.

I'm about to go to bed right now, but I could quickly set up the 1 gallon ice cream bucket i have in my room right now...Should I fill it halfway with new dechlorinated tap water (or should I use some aquarium water?) and then put the bugs in the bucket? I have a very weak air pump that I could use that would aerate the tank just a bit...

Alright, I just put about 3/4 of the creatures in the gallon ice cream bucket, I watched them for a half hour, and they are doing great, so I think Its fine, the rest were kept in the bag of dirty pond water.

I promised a video so here it is, not the best quality, but best I could get, I might upload another later (with music in the backround next time)...the orange things are the "brine shrimp" and the black/grey things are the mosquito larvae. This video is when they were all still in the bag:
http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f361/sk_...Animal005-1.flv

P.S. I put the bucket of old tank water with "creatures" in it in front of my window, so hopefully I will get some green water, and the "creatures" can feed!!!! Muhahahahaha

So I woke up today, and everything is alive! Including the ones in the bag! And no, I didn't wake up with mosquito bites :p

I've also got some better videos, this time with them in the bucket, you can kind of see how they move...I'll upload it, again if dialup and photobucket cooperate...

Answers are still welcome, like if you know what the freshwater brine shrimp really is, or how to feed the "creatures" or if you thought of a better idea of how to feed them to the fish, or if you have any thoughts about how clean the pond was, etc...

Its probably a Fairy Shrimp..... which is basically a freshwater brine shrimp. Im sure there are some minute differences but they are basically the same thing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back