African Dwarf Frogs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dextersmummy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I am looking for advice on African dwarf frogs ive just got today in my second aquarium. They are living with tetras and guppies. I have two frogs and have brought loads of blood worms daphnia and frozen food. I defrosted them in aquarium water and added the food tonight and the fish ate the lot
sad.png
I kept willing my frogs to come out and eat and they didn't. I'm really worried this will continue to happen and they will starve. Is there a kinda feeding station u can get so that I can put food in so the fish cannot get to it only the frogs? I also feed algae pellets and flakes and tetra pellets mix each night. I wish id kept them in a aquarium on their own now I'm all paranoid they will pass away tho cant think how to help.guess its their first day so they will be nervous. They are so small to! Hope u can help thank u x x

I'm sorry about the title I put fish instead of frogs and cant find edit on my phone. X

I've edited your thread title for you :good:

You might have to catch the frogs and feed them separately a few times a week, or hold the food near them so they can find it.

They would be better off in a tank of their own though; it is very common for ADF to starve when kept with fish, as they are very slow at finding food.

Aww :( doubt ill ever catch em to feed em :( their so small right noW. Can u think of any kind of feeder I can use? Or will the floor dwelling fish like the Coreys I forgot to mention get it? :( x and thanks for editing my title appreciate it x

I agree with fluttermoth. The first time I kept the frogs that's exactly what happened, they couldn't compete with the fish for food. After I lost one I caught the others and put them in their own tank where they persisted nicely.

i have 6 ADFs in my 16 gallon bowfront, they are housed with Ottos (one really nice zebra) , Pygmy corys, thread fin rainbows, pygmy honey gouramis and green rasboras. i feed the fish a mix of flakes shrimp and blood worms, but as far as feeding the bottom i put 3 massivor tabs and 1 alge wafer in per night. one of my ADFs is as big around as a quater. never had an issue with them eating. there are also snales that came in on some plants that they LOVE to munch on. i have kept them this way for over a year and all of them are healthy and active. (excpet for maybe the obese one. lol) 

Can you post a video for us? Maybe it will give some clues on how to get them to feed.

harrimck said:
I have two frogs both are about 2inch long both eat well and quite active but recently one has been getting the other in a tight head lock type body grip and no matter how much the other struggles he won't let go and now the one he grabs has filled with air ballooned to 3 - 4 times his size he's ready to burst. Any ideas anyone
Sorry for crashing your blog but I cant get any information on my problem

The "bear hug" and ballooning are mating behavior.

ive heard of people putting their food in a turkey baster and shooting it right down to them.

Megalodon said:
ive heard of people putting their food in a turkey baster and shooting it right down to them.
This is what I do with my two, I locate them in the tank first ( easier said than done! ) and then blast the food at them, usually live white worm or blood worm and they eat very quickly, I only have one betta in the tank with them though and I distract him with food on the other side of the tank, I have plenty of low growing plants too so this may help shield the frogs eating from fish, low lying coco caves are good if you place some bloodworm in there the frogs should be able to enter and feed.

I put my frog inside a breeding box for afew hours with blood worm and hope that he eats

Most reactions

trending

Back