The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jebus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
one of my adfs is missing it's whole hand
i looked closely and it didn't look infected, it just looked like a stump
will it grow back, and is there anything i can do?
thanks for the help

Any idea how it was lost? Amphibians can usually regrow a limb, if it was removed as the result of an injury. However, inbreeding and some viral infections can result in deformities that are permanent.

there is a betta in the tank with it, so it might have been him
or one of the serpae tetras :angry:

If the area looks closed, no openings or sores, it probably happened a few days ago and the frog is already healing. You might want to watch them closely to make sure this doesn't happen again--large fish can hurt ADF seriously, in addition to outcompeting them for food.

should i separate the betta from the adfs, i haven't seen them eat in a while
i put in hikari brine shrimp, but none fell to the bottom
what food would be good for them

I prefer to have frogs in species only setups. They tend to be tough to feed, and having competitive fish mixed in tends to mean you spend a lot of time making sure the frogs are well fed. My frogs prefer frozen foods or live foods (like live worms) to freeze dried or flake foods, so you might want to give those a try. Soaking dried foods in selecon, or a similar product that enhances the odor of the food, may work to help them locate the food items. Frogs hunt by smell, so a food lacking odor, even if placed right in front of them, will be overlooked.

do you know any good strategies to making sure they are fed?
the tetras and the betta always seem to get all the middle floating food, so none makes it to the bottom where they stay

Use a turkey baster. And this belongs in the Amps. forum... Lot of good advice on ADF's already there.

Cheers,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back