African Dwarf Frog Floating

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BENCHMARKMAN

Reaction score
About 5 weeks ago I got an African Dwarf Frog to go with my betta. The last two days it seems that he can not stay at the bottom of the tank without help. He tries to go to the bottom but just floats back to the top unless he gets under a rock or something else. Is this normal or is something seriously wrong?

They do float around at the top of the tank however if hes up there all the time I wouldnt say thats normal what size is your tank do you have a test kit and how often do you do water changes, also is there any other signs is the frog bloated does it have little bubble around its feet and do you have a air stone in there air stones are not good for dwarf frogs.

IMO mine did float for about 5 mins or so
It may be constipation or something :unsure:

IMO mine did float for about 5 mins or so
It may be constipation or something :unsure:

He is floating at the top but he is fighting to go to the bottom but gets pushed up like he is less bouyant than the water. I change the water ever 5 to 6 days and do not use air stones. The tank is 2 or 3 gallon starter. There is a betta in the tank as well.

When I had an ADF she would take a breath of air and then float until she burped it up.

Also, why are airstones bad for frogs?

Benchmarkman..... Did you figure out what was wrong with your frog? because mine is now doing the same thing and I feel really bad.... I dont know if he's sick and dying or just floating.... hes been like that all day??? Any ideas? please help someone!!!!

It sounds like it could be the beginning of bloat / dropsy, how is the frog now? Does it appear swollen compared to when you first had it? Is it still eating? Also water test results would be useful.

Regarding the airstone, I recall reading somewhere that it's not recommended in a frog tank because the frogs can actually swallow the bubbles which can cause gas bubble disease. A filter rippling the surface will be alot more effective at gas exchange then an airstone.

HTH :D

Most reactions

Back