African Clawed frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AmieeG

Reaction score
My frogs laid eggs! So I have separated them so they do not eat them. Iā€™m new to this I do not know what I should do next?? I have the right temp for the eggs but other than that what else do I do??

Keep the water clean and well filtered and wait for the eggs to hatch. The baby tadpoles will eat pretty much anything ranging from fish food, plants, algae, each other if they get hungry. Do regular water changes and gravel cleaning to keep the tadpole tank clean. Watch them grow.

Don't put them in with the adults until they are frogs and the same size as the adults, otherwise the adults could eat them. :)

Keep the water clean and well filtered and wait for the eggs to hatch. The baby tadpoles will eat pretty much anything ranging from fish food, plants, algae, each other if they get hungry. Do regular water changes and gravel cleaning to keep the tadpole tank clean. Watch them grow.

Don't put them in with the adults until they are frogs and the same size as the adults, otherwise the adults could eat them. :)
Thank you

Thank you! Itā€™s been a month and the tadpoles are growing quick! Thereā€™s loads of them. Iā€™ve kept the filter off because I was afraid they would get sucked in. But I plan too turn it on tomorrow. I believe they are big enough not to get sucked in. When I clean the tank and do the walls will swishing them around kill them? Or should I take them out? Iā€™ve kept the tank somewhat clean but I havenā€™t super cleaned it I was worried I would kill them when I disturbed them.

You should keep the filter going even if it's on another tank because the filter has good bacteria in it that will die if the filter is turned off for more than a few hours.

As mentioned by Ash Paws, you can put screens over the intake of power filters to stop them getting sucked up. I like the sponges from internal power filters. They are cylindrical and have a hole in the middle and usually fit over the intake nicely.

There is no need to remove the babies form the tank when you clean it. In fact you usually damage them if you catch them out with a net because the netting can damage the mucous over their bodies or damage their skin.

A bit of water movement is not going to harm the babies. Just leave them in the tank and use a gravel cleaner (like the one in the following link) to clean the gunk out of the gravel and to drain some water out. Then refill the tank with clean dechlorinated water.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back