Aequidens diadem

MuddyWaters

Fish Addict
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Oct 5, 2021
Messages
853
Reaction score
1,125
Points
93
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
I just bought a few small Aequidens diadem (Royal Acara). I was looking at electric blue, but when I saw that these are delayed mouth brooders, I couldn't resist the opportunity to try and witness that.

I got 5 and I figure once I get a pair I'll move 1 or 2 to another tank and sell the rest at the local club when they get bigger.

I can't find videos that show the action of them carrying the fry in their mouths. I'm super excited to try with these guys & gals. I read that they are very interactive with owner and will follow and observe, no just begging for food. Sounds like what I've read about oscars.

Anyone have experience with these guys?
 
I hope somebody pipes up with the skinny on these fish . Mouthbreeders are very fascinating fish and , also , this particular one is new to me . Never heard of them . How about a picture ?
 
Note- I'm wrong in the video above about how they handle the eggs. They lay the eggs on a flat surface and then when they hatch they keep the fry in their mouths, passing them back and forth to protect them. In the video I said I though they keep the eggs in their mouths, but they don't.
 
Those are nice fish Man ! I like that velvety algae on your driftwood . That’s what I think of when I hear the phrase “ established aquarium “ . Things like that .
Hey , however they do it , it’s still mouth brooding any way you want to look at it .
 
I unpacked a lot of them, but I'm not sure I unpacked a lot of them...

There was an issue with two different fish under the diadema name, from two different areas. I saw both. If I recall correctly, one was larger than the other, and I think I saw more of the larger, chunky one. The real one seems to be almost a dwarf, but like all Aequidens and the fish they used to include in Aequidens, they were too chunky for my tastes. I know a lot of people who love those fish, with good reason.

I can see the appeal though. I love keeping mouthbrooders. Mbuna give the group as bad name, because while they brood, they spit the fry out when they can swim, and that's that. In African rainforests and savannahs, and in South America, you get ones like you described diadema being - ones that pick up eggs, larvae, trade back and forth, invite them back into the mouths for weeks, pass freeswimmers back and forth - it's wondrous to watch.

It's worth the wait.

I have some Gabonese Chromidotilapia kingsleyae I was given as fry last summer and that are just now pulling into range. I know no one will want the young, but I can't wait to watch that show again. It never gets boring. If they breed, I know I'll get all excited and then enjoy the spectacle, but I have no clue what I can do with the babies after... the great not super colourful Cichlid problem.
 
Never met an Acara I didn't like. A. diadema is especially handsome and interesting. Looking forward to your updates.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top