::::::::::::::advice+wisdom Needed::::::::::::::::::

MollyFresh

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
204
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey, US
I have a 10 gallon aquarium, I would like to get a bigger one but my mom and I arn't sure what size tank would be best for our house. I would like to get a big ass aquarium with tons of fish, but I cannot do that because the floor will most likely sag or cave threw. Water weighs alot, So I would like to know what size tank is good for a regular house. I am planning on putting an aquarium in my room, which is on the top floor of the house I live in. My mom said that when I get a tank, it needs to be under 50 gallons because the floor might cave in or sag or something like that. Someone told me that a 50 gallon aquarium with water and a stand and all that could weigh up to 500 pounds. I would really like to know how much weight a floor can usually take before it caves in, the size aquarium you all think would be appropriate, how much the weight of a 10,20,30,40,50,60 etc.. Gallon tank weighs with all the thing that go with it, stand and all. You can also give me any advice on aquariums and fish and anything you like really, so please, post away my friendzz :)

--- Cassie ---
 
http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

If the dwelling is reasonably built, meaning safe & up to code, anything up to a 55 shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a pdf of standard tank sizes & weights, full & empty; http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf

I have a 65 gallon in my living room, home made stand adds another 120 pounds, the hood adds an additional 40 pounds. I know the exact conditions & specs of the floor supporting it, if you could access the floor beneath where you are planning to put the tank it would help in the decision making process.
 
Okay Thank you<3 So If I put a 45 Gallon tank in my room on the top floor of my house, with the stand and the water and the top and all that, it should be fine?? I really can't see where the best place to put it is because my floor has ceiling below it and floor on top of it. My House is about 10 years old if that matters much?
 
If you have access to the attic above you should be able to see what way the joists run. Generally, your floor joists will run the same way in the floor beneath. You want the weight of the tank to span as many of these as possible running perpendicular. You also want to have it against a load bearing wall if possible.

If all this sounds confusing, ask a friend or neighbor with a little experience in home improvement, it is fairly simple to figure out if you have a little hands on with a house. A 10 year old house in New Jersey should be pretty sturdy & up to code. My house is right around 55 years old, the floor holds the 65 with no problem at all, has for years. I don't see a problem with a 45 gallon with newer construction.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top