Advice - Tiger Barbs OR Angels?

mandi

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 13, 2004
Messages
704
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Erie, Pennsylvania
My 30 gallon tank is almost done cycling. I'm planning to add 6-8 black kuhli loaches. Other than that, I'm undecided.

I was considdering either a pair of angels, OR a school of tiger barbs (6-8 maybe?).

I know if I go with the tiger barbs, I'll be limited on what else can be housed with them, so I'm kind of hesitant. But I've always been fond of them at the same time.

I also love angels, but I'm not sure that 30 gallons is large enough for them?

Which would be the better choice (assuming either one is compatible with the kuhlis) and what other fish could I put with them (if any)?

Thanks for the help! :)
 
A standard 30g is a little on the short side (17") for angels, IMO, but can be done.

What other fish were you considering? What kind of activity are you looking for in a tank? An angel tank and a tiger barb tank are two very different experiences...
 
modernhamlet said:
A standard 30g is a little on the short side (17") for angels, IMO, but can be done.

What other fish were you considering? What kind of activity are you looking for in a tank? An angel tank and a tiger barb tank are two very different experiences...
[snapback]899626[/snapback]​

That's what I was thinking -- that the 30g might be a little short.

The tank is in my livingroom, so I'd like something that's interesting to watch, and something colorful -- something that catches peoples eyes I guess (when I have guests over and such).

The only other fish that I have my mind SET on are the black kuhli loaches. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. I really don't want any more gouramis though (I have those in other tanks) and I'm not really interested in more livebearers. I have some koi swordtails in another tank, and wouldn't mind moving some to this tank eventually if the other inhabitants are compatible, but that's not a necessity.

It has a sand substrate and is planted (not real heavily, but fairly well).
 
Tiger barbs would make for a very active and entertaining tank. A large enough group of khulis will be active and amusing as well.

Consider one of the smaller, more peaceful Central American cichlids as a tankmate. A single Herotilapia multispinosa (rainbow cichlid) or Thorichthys meeki (firemouth) might work well as colorful centerpiece with tiger barbs in a 30g.
 
A shoal of Tiger Barbs with a pair of ram (either German Blue or Bolivian) would look great. I had my TB's with my German Blue Ram for like about a week, and at times the ram would actually swim and shoal with the TB's. Now my TB's are with a Bolivian Ram and they don't cause trouble at all, and make for a really interesting tank indeed.
 
modernhamlet -
I'll look into the firemouth & rainbow cichlids... I've never been a big fan, but I've also really never looked at them in person, so maybe they'll grow on me haha.

UBigBobby -
I love rams (especially german blue). I would have guessed they'd be to delicate to mix with tiger barbs though? I guess cichlids can hold their own, however haha. Perhaps if I go that route I'll start with the tiger barbs for the first 6-8 months and then after the tank is fully mature I'll add either bolivian or german rams (as I've read the german rams in particular need a very mature tank). Thoughts?
 
mandi said:
modernhamlet -
I'll look into the firemouth & rainbow cichlids... I've never been a big fan, but I've also really never looked at them in person, so maybe they'll grow on me haha.

UBigBobby -
I love rams (especially german blue). I would have guessed they'd be to delicate to mix with tiger barbs though? I guess cichlids can hold their own, however haha. Perhaps if I go that route I'll start with the tiger barbs for the first 6-8 months and then after the tank is fully mature I'll add either bolivian or german rams (as I've read the german rams in particular need a very mature tank). Thoughts?
[snapback]899963[/snapback]​

I had no real problems with my Blue Ram and TB's. But every instance is different. I currently have my Bolivian with the TB's and they pay no attention to him whatsoever. Just make sure your TB's have enough room, and are at least 6 of them, and you should be fine. TB's can be tough to mix...but that doesn't mean you can't. Just keep them away from lathargic fish with large fins, and a few others and you'll be fine. You shouldn't even be afraid of keeping Tiger barbs. They can be a pain when i comes to mixing, but they're worth it, as they are the most delightful, colorful fish availble in the freshwater hobby. I would highly reccomend a tank with 6-10 TB's and a pair of Blue Rams or Bolivians. 9 would be a great number. 3 regular, 3 albino, and 3 green would be perfect. Just make sure the rams have hiding places as they like to spend alot of time under a rock overhand or nessled in a group of plants.
 
are cichlids compatible with the loaches?

you could do a cichlid tank
 
look at my sig for the community tank. people say its overstocked but things are well balanced and matured. ive had the same 6 tiger barbs since day one and they dont mess with anyone. they look beautiful above white sand btw. all fish are fine and the only fin tear is on one of the albino TB's
 

Most reactions

Back
Top