Jo Booth
New Member
Hi guys
My normal routine consists of daily visual checking of the inhabitants of the tank and the tank generally, replanting of stray plants if needed, a quick wipe of the glass if needed, a gravel vac (battery operated not syphon), water testing etc etc. Once a week a do a 10-15% water change.
Sooo, my question is what the heck do you folks do with your tanks when you are away for two weeks?? Normally we are only away for a week so the tank manages well. When we have been away for a week I generally feed them bloodworm and daphnia, throw in a few crushed peas and a nighbour throws in a few flakes every few days for me. This time with it being two weeks I thought it was cheeky to ask the neighbour to do a water change !
My LFS friend says he feeds he fish up with frozen live food the week before, puts in a weekend feeder type block and leaves them. ANother friend who has had fish for many years (including marine) says he gradually reduces feeding the week or so before and then doesn't feed at all when he is away. They both thought that if I do a water change before I go then the tank should manage for 2 weeks. It is double filtered, no spikes in the water stats for over a year so everything is working very well. It is a 70l planted community tank which really manages itself other than requiring fresh water.
The light is on a timer and I do have an auto feeder which I have used sometimes when I have been away for a week quite successfully - although i don't know whether it would cope with 2 weeks of condensation.
Could someone give me some ideas please on what you think would be ok as a really do not know what to do for the best.
Many Thanks
Jo
My normal routine consists of daily visual checking of the inhabitants of the tank and the tank generally, replanting of stray plants if needed, a quick wipe of the glass if needed, a gravel vac (battery operated not syphon), water testing etc etc. Once a week a do a 10-15% water change.
Sooo, my question is what the heck do you folks do with your tanks when you are away for two weeks?? Normally we are only away for a week so the tank manages well. When we have been away for a week I generally feed them bloodworm and daphnia, throw in a few crushed peas and a nighbour throws in a few flakes every few days for me. This time with it being two weeks I thought it was cheeky to ask the neighbour to do a water change !
My LFS friend says he feeds he fish up with frozen live food the week before, puts in a weekend feeder type block and leaves them. ANother friend who has had fish for many years (including marine) says he gradually reduces feeding the week or so before and then doesn't feed at all when he is away. They both thought that if I do a water change before I go then the tank should manage for 2 weeks. It is double filtered, no spikes in the water stats for over a year so everything is working very well. It is a 70l planted community tank which really manages itself other than requiring fresh water.
The light is on a timer and I do have an auto feeder which I have used sometimes when I have been away for a week quite successfully - although i don't know whether it would cope with 2 weeks of condensation.
Could someone give me some ideas please on what you think would be ok as a really do not know what to do for the best.
Many Thanks
Jo








