Advice please ๐Ÿ˜Š

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to enter! ๐Ÿ†

CatherineB

Reaction score
Hi everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹
Was wondering if I could have some advice please ๐Ÿ˜Š my partner gifted me a 57 litre fluval flex for my birthday, I've got the hardscape sorted - I used aquasoil, I can't remember the brand but was recommended in a pet store, natural course sand/gravel, driftwood and rocks. River Rock, dragon stone and I think a small piece of lava rock, all from the pet store, and all were boiled to sterilise.
I need some advice on plants please ๐Ÿ˜Š I have got some ideas, but am getting so confused. I'd like a well planted jungle type tank, easy maintenance, so ground cover, mid and back. And (I'm not entirely sure if I can house all these fish in here, so advice on this too please), I am planning on having a pair of dwarf gouramis as specimen/ statement fish, a few chili rasboras (if I can find them) and maybe some cherry shrimp and a snail or two, or Cory cats.

I used to keep tropical fish, (Cory's, Silver dollars, guppies, tetras, betta, mollies, plecs etc etc, and even a couple of crabs) but its been about 20 years, so I'm well out of the loop, and I never aquascaped either!
Excuse the marks on the glass. I'd rinsed it out and forgot to wipe them off.

Attachments

• 20220929_170055.jpg
    20220929_170055.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220929_161940.jpg
    20220929_161940.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 30
I am planning on having a pair of dwarf gouramis as specimen/ statement fish, a few chili rasboras (if I can find them) and maybe some cherry shrimp and a snail or two, or Cory cats.
Welcome.
In order to give advice on stocking you will need to give us your water parameters. gh, kh, ph.

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome scape!!
Valliserina is known for being a fairly easy plant, as well as being good for giving that jungle feel you said you want.
I will say about your stocking though, is that the gouramis might find that they want to eat the shrimp FYI. Also as you consider the fish, try and research into their individual needs, and choose the fish that are compatible with your water and with each other. Cories like soft sand, as they sift through it and you don't want them hurting themselves.

Welcome.
In order to give advice on stocking you will need to give us your water parameters. gh, kh, ph.
Thank you. I will do, as soon as I get the scaping sorted. Would it be over stocked with the fish that I've mentioned? I'm hoping to have at least 8 chili's and 6 shrimp. Parameters allowing.

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome scape!!
Valliserina is known for being a fairly easy plant, as well as being good for giving that jungle feel you said you want.
I will say about your stocking though, is that the gouramis might find that they want to eat the shrimp FYI. Also as you consider the fish, try and research into their individual needs, and choose the fish that are compatible with your water and with each other. Cories like soft sand, as they sift through it and you don't want them hurting themselves

Thank you, I'll add that to my list ๐Ÿ˜Š
As for the cories and shrimps, I'll rethink them. I knew when I bought the substrate I'd made a mistake, but didn't think about the shrimp being eaten. Would you have any advice on other bottom dwellers? I'm actually planning on having sort of a 'carpet' would that help with the cories?

Mmm, as for a carpet (I assume you are talking about a solid carpet out of dwarf hair grass or monte carlo or the sort), I'm not sure if that would help with the cories, as I've never had them, I just know some quick facts. Also, it would take you many months (as well as CO2, probably) to make a solid carpet.
Back to the shrimp, I assumed you would be getting neocaridina shrimp, as they are the go to for beginners. The gouramis may not eat the adults, but definitely the babies. Amano shrimp are known to be better algae eaters as far as shrimp species go, and are bigger, so probably wouldn't become a snack for a dwarf gourami species. The only thing about amanos is that they won't reproduce. The young can only survive in brackish water, soo....
Also, another note about the dwarf gouramis, they are popular for beginners because they are pretty and not too big (like a betta) BUT, they are also notorious for being sickly because they are over bred. Just something to think about.
Also, I am not an expert, what I say is just what I have found out from others most of the time. Make sure to always do your own research before buying fish!

Hi, and welcome!
In regard to your plants I found water wisteria, blue stricta and bacopa totally no fuss. Bacopa and water wisteria can be both planted and floated. I tried ambulia as it looked so lovely, but found it very messy, with bits and pieces detaching and going roaming.
With a sword, some crypts and java ferns, you're set!!
Good luck

Hi, and welcome!
In regard to your plants I found water wisteria, blue stricta and bacopa totally no fuss. Bacopa and water wisteria can be both planted and floated. I tried ambulia as it looked so lovely, but found it very messy, with bits and pieces detaching and going roaming.
With a sword, some crypts and java ferns, you're set!!
Good luck
Thank you ever so much ๐Ÿ˜Š I actually had ambulia nana petite in my basket, I might leave it off. Can bacopa Carolina be floated? I'd been looking at floating plants but they all seem so high maintenance with my tank being tiny ๐Ÿ˜Œ
Another question... If it says a plant could benefit from co2, does it have to have it?

I've drafted a list of plants and still looking.
Vallisinearia corkscrew
Java windelow
Ludwigia mini super red
Water wisteria
Hygrophila polysperma
Bacopa Caroline
Cryptocoryne lucens
Alternanthera reineckii.

They all sound great!
And both water wisteria and bacopa can be floating, both lovely fuss free plants.
And don't let me put you off ambulia, just didn't work for me. I found I was constantly fishing broken fronds out, and then it completely disappeared.
And my tanks are low tech, no CO2. I'm still learning, someone more knowledgeable will hopefully answer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back